For you folks from Jersey...

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Feb 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    New Jersey, that is.

I like advertising clocks.

Recently, I found one from Chatham, NJ that has a traceable history.

It's the "Thespian" by Gilbert. It's, to my eyes, a rather attractive spring driven 8 day time and 1/2 hour strike wall regulator in oak with a wonderful old crusty finish. Nope, no reason to refinish. I likes that old surface! There's a great canary yellow label on the back which of course I neglected to photograph before securing the clock to the wall.

Has the fancier gong base, too.

If I remember correctly, this clock dates to about 1906.

The tablet is reverse painted with an advertisement for R. Scheuermann, a jeweler in Chatham, NJ.

I did some research and found his advertising in the Chatham (NJ) Press from about 1903 to 1912!

This date range corresponds to the period when the clock would have been produced.

Many advertising clocks were simple "box" or "general store" regulators. He chose a better model to use.

I have contacted the Chatham, NJ Historical Society and provided pix of the clock and some the advertisements I found. I enjoy this type of research.

I have attached them. My apologies if they appear here giant sized. The "work around" is too complicated to use.

I've also include a typically irrelevant picture. This time of a Victorian woolwork. Great bright colors. The stupid 3-D s___t I just love.

RM

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Attached Files:

2. hemioutlaw

hemioutlaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2008
    North.Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow,That's Awesome, I love advertising clock's. I've only got this one and I can hardly get to it Yours is way nicer.
    1486868892989-285741484.jpg

3. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Oct 5, 2007
    Male
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey, RM,

Superior clock! I'm quite jealous-I never seem to be able to find clocks like that.

And Hemioutlaw, your clock is wonderful too!

George Nelson

4. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 new2clocks, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    RM,

You have a nice advertisement clock. When you can document the history of the clock, that makes it much more special. Good detective work!

I also find the phone number (if that is the proper description) listed in the advertisement of "18-L" interesting. I suspect that phones were for the privileged few in 1903 and I suspect that there were at least 18 phones in the Bell Telephone area that covered Chatham. I picture someone needing to tap the "plunger" on the old phones and waiting to speak to the operator to connect them to the jeweler. I wonder how much that phone call costs in today's dollars!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Regards.

5. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just noticed that one of the advertisements listed a telephone number of "13-L". Were there 5 more phones installed during the period of time in the advertisements?

Regards.

6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Actually, the first phone number mentioned in the adverts is from Dec. 1, 1906, and is 13-L. One week later (Dec. 8.1906), however, it is given as 18-L.

7. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And how many people listened to your conversations as many lines were party lines and you answered your phone depending on the number rings the operator sent through. We had one when my parents first purchased our house in Verona, NJ in 1954 and my mother always knew when one of the neighbors was being nosy and let them know by asking, did you get all of that Mrs. Smith. We had one phone in the house and because my father did a lot of business over the phone, we were allowed 2 minutes per call, as he said, if you can't tell someone something in 2 minutes go see them. Very nice clock I must say, probably cost him a few days wages to purchase it.

8. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM, Great advertising clock, and an interesting result of your research!

(And an interesting digression about telephones. I remember, from the days of my youth, when Mom had a crank phone --connected to the "central exchange", which was a switchboard in the operators kitchen. When you turned that crank to wake up the operator in the middle of the night, it was clearly a serious call.)
    Ray Rice, being snowed in, in Rifton

9. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice write up RM. Gilbert's Wall Regulators seemed to have very showy pendulum amplitudes. At least the few I've seen in action do. Got a good chuckle out of his warning about incompetent repairs.
    I'm not a trained Horologist so I just hope my work is never seen as such. :) Anyway, very nice clock and a great glimpse into the past! Thanks for sharing.

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to all for their interest & kind comments.

RM