For which American Watch companies do complete or partial factory production records survive, and what information do they contain?

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Esteemed collecting colleagues, I am wondering if the collective brain trust here can help me compile a complete list of all extant American watch factory records. I know of the following:

American Watch Co. and predecessors: production date, grade, and jeweling - by lot, or run - accessible here.

E. Howard & Co.: production or sales date, size, level of adjustment, info about regulator, jewel settings, winding/setting, sometimes plate finish, and often inventory value, customer or sales office, and sometimes the adjuster, (many early SN's missing) - availabe by appointment at the Smithsonian National History Museum Archives Center

Hamilton Watch Co.: production date, size, jeweling, grade, level of adjustment, style (hunting or open face) - accessible here

Elgin National Watch Co.: partial listing, but I have no details as to content or location

Aurora Watch Co.: I learned recently from Greg that these exist. [this entry has been corrected, per Greg's post below]

Can others help to fill this list in?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bila

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Esteemed collecting colleagues, I am wondering if the collective brain trust here can help me compile a complete list of all extant American watch factory records. I know of the following:

American Watch Co. and predecessors: production date, grade, and jeweling - by lot, or run - accessible here.

E. Howard & Co.: production or sales date, size, level of adjustment, info about regulator, jewel settings, winding/setting, sometimes plate finish, and often inventory value, customer or sales office, and sometimes the adjuster, (many early SN's missing) - availabe by appointment at the Smithsonian National History Museum Archives Center

Hamilton Watch Co.: production date, size, jeweling, grade, level of adjustment, style (hunting or open face) - accessible here

Elgin National Watch Co.: partial listing, but I have no details as to content or location

Rockford Watch Co.: I learned recently from Greg that these exist.

Can others help to fill this list in?
Clint,

There's is nothing, that I know of, for Rockford. However, there are partial production records for Aurora. They are at the NAWCC library.

Greg

Reactions: Bila

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
I believe that handwritten records from the Illinois Watch Co. also exist, but the may be in private hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GallDG
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent