For the use of.....

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Hogshair, Sep 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hogshair

Hogshair Registered User

Sep 6, 2014
    Hi all, I bought this little item out of curiosity, I have various mainspring winders but I was curious as to how this type is used? Any guru's out there?

Cheers
    Hogs.

DSCF0021.JPG DSCF0022.JPG DSCF0024.JPG

2. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
  3. Hogshair

Hogshair Registered User

Sep 6, 2014
    Thanks DC, have seen those before, I e-mailed Picard & Co and they answered the same day stating that they have no idea how to use it, they just supply the tools. It seems odd that such a common tool is unknown in its use?

Cheers
    Hogs.

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Hogs,

This is a very ancient design and most people would probably prefer one of the more recent types which use sleeves to retain the spring once it's wound tight.

Regards,

Graham

5. motormaker

motormaker Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    See pics of a spring I was installing in a project. The center hooks are interchangable. The other end of the spring hooks as shown.

DSC01033.JPG DSC01035.JPG DSC01036.JPG

6. Hogshair

Hogshair Registered User

Sep 6, 2014
    Hi Graham, yep, I have the sleeve type (see pic) just bought this out of curiosoty really.
    Hi motormaker, I think the winder you have is for clock mainsprings where as mine is for watch mainsprings. I can see the smilarity but as mine does not have that bar with a hook I can't see how the mainspring would be held in place. Obviously it was as the tool is quite common, shame the instructions aren't:(

All the best
    Hogs.

DSCF0007_cr.jpg