Foolish purchase: Ingraham Shorty?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Elliott Wolin, Jan 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Elliott Wolin

Elliott Wolin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been occasionally bidding on pocket watches and, due to limited funds and knowledge, rarely coming up with a winning bid. After many weeks of this I sort of wanted to get something, so I kind of overbid on one (ok, it wasn't that much). And having failed to do any homework, I wound up with a non-working Ingraham Sturdy.

After opening it up and being surprised at how poorly it was made, I finally did some research and learned about "dollar watches". It seems they weren't even made to be repaired, and I can see why!

No jewels, stamped-out parts, poor construction throughout.

Rather than giving up, I take this as a challenge. If the parts are there and could work, I'm going to give it a try. One problem is how to get the balance back on, it is attached to the one-piece top plate and you have to simultaneously install the balance over the pin-pallet lever and get all the pivots into the top plate. Not clear how to do this.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or should I just file this away as an object lesson in misplaced enthusiasm?

20200117_170656[1].jpg 20200117_170700[1].jpg

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's doable. Just takes patience!

3. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:

Elliott, this info about not being able to be repaired is just plain wrong, I see all the time comments such as these, as well as comments about having to have jigs and the like for assembly, just a load of nonsense. These can be repaired but the intrinsic value to most people does not exist and the time to repair is the factor why most don't:( They would be surprised at how many people collect dollar pocket watches, they fit in a niche of their own. In saying all the previous though be aware that they are not a watch to learn on, as with-out the required dexterity and knowledge of the pin pallet escapement you are better of leaving them alone:)

PatH likes this.
  4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A dollar watch was made to retail for one dollar
    That includes the manufacturer, wholesaler and retailer making a profit on each watch
    They had to be made as cheaply as possible
    Another one which you will come across is the Ingersoll Yankee
    It was more like a small clock in a watch case than a watch

5. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Well, to me the "dollar" watch I have is precious since my Father got it by saving up coupons from Arbuckle coffee over 90 years ago when he was a boy. and so is a 9-jewel Waltham 16 size pocket that belonged to my Grandfather. He bought it in the late 1930's and was the first decent watch he ever owned; carried it about every day until he died in 1967. I'm a sentimental geezer about such things.

6. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Elliott, I can't help you with the repair question, but if you'd like to see many examples of dollar watches, take a few minutes to look through this thread. Good luck with your Ingraham!
    The "Dollar" watch, show me some of yours.

Pat

7. Elliott Wolin

Elliott Wolin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Many thanks for all the responses, now I don't feel as if I threw the money away on something everyone thinks is junk and no one cares about.

Although this is my second watch I'm not sure what it is I have to watch out for with the pin-pallet escapement. It kind of looks like it just has to be placed properly next to the escape wheel, and then place the balance wheel jewel on the correct side (depending on where it is banked).

Am I missing something here?

8. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Elliott,

There are several faults that will cause you problems once you reassemble it.

These are overpowered which encourages people to run them long past the oil dried out. This, plus the excess power, leads to wear at the pallet pivot bearings and sometimes the EW pivots as well. Plus the pins themselves can be cut by the dirt embedded in the EW teeth.

These things can all be corrected and provide a great opportunity to start learning some of the dexterity skills you will need later. Very few of the skills that you develop on the watch will be directly transferable in jeweled watches, but it gives you the opportunity to start to learn how to see and troubleshoot.

As for your question, yes, the impulse pin on the balance will need to be in the center of the pallet notch.

Bila likes this.
  9. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Looks like Dewey has summed a lot up for you Elliott, please also check that the guard pin has not been shortened and the pin pallets not bent out of alignment on the fork, for some reasons unknown to me if incompetent repairers/hobbyists have touched it before these items seem to be the first thing they butcher.