Flying Pendulum Clock

BryanNelson

Jan 18, 2021
Country
I recently found out today that this clock a great grandfather of mine is called a "flying pendulum" clock. My family has always called it a "shoe-button" or "shoe-string" clock. However, from what I have found, my clock does not look like what I have found online. Any idea of a more specific name for this clock? Thank You for the assistance. Bryan

tempImagegVYEgz.jpg

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
I recently found out today that this clock a great grandfather of mine is called a "flying pendulum" clock. My family has always called it a "shoe-button" or "shoe-string" clock. However, from what I have found, my clock does not look like what I have found online. Any idea of a more specific name for this clock? Thank You for the assistance. Bryan

View attachment 633069
Now that is one cool clock! I hope you can get enough information about it to get it operating - I'd love to see a video of it when it is going again.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It looks like a very early flying pendulum. Only one wire to wrap around? That's a little odd. These clocks are novelty clocks and good conversation starters, but are not worth much as time keepers :)

BryanNelson

Jan 18, 2021
Country
I can see two posts; or have I misunderstood?

JTD
There is a third post on the right hand side of the picture. It got cut off a little bit when I took the picture. My dad, who the clock before handing it down to me, on had it going a few times during my childhood. Just to show people how it worked. However, Im now wanting to restore it with as much original parts as I can. Some of the wood gears are worn down.

BryanNelson

Jan 18, 2021
Country
It looks like a very early flying pendulum. Only one wire to wrap around? That's a little odd. These clocks are novelty clocks and good conversation starters, but are not worth much as time keepers :)
That is correct about only having one wire. That is all I ever remember it having. As far as we know, my great grandfather made it somewhere between 1905ish and 1930. He was a licensed watch maker in Minnesota (we have the license cards). He is also mentioned in a book about early Swedish American wood carvers that was published in 1953, three years after he passed away.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
interesting clock and story behind it! Any chance of pics of the movement?
Burkhard

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
However, Im now wanting to restore it with as much original parts as I can. Some of the wood gears are worn down.
Really appreciate you sharing pictures of this - its an interesting clock! There is a specific forum here for wooden movements, so if you are looking for advice on restoring the movement, then it might be worth posting pictures of the movement and any specific questions on that forum.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
On more modern flying ball clocks, the string wraps around two wires. That's what I was asking about. :)

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Really cool looking clock! Would love to see the movement! I’m curious about the additional winding hole? The thing I like is the hour hand is geared around the flying ball shaft! The one thing about this style of clock is they were certainly worthless timekeepers! I’m betting this was your grandfathers counter or window display showing his clock making abilities as well as a conversation piece.
cheers,
James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Time Repair
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre