• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's lines in the Columbia, PA area. We are working on the immediate issue with Comcast and are also working on a long term plan that will eliminate our reliance on Comcast. Thank you for your patience.

Fly Repair

Tony Ambruso

Dec 2, 2005
www.azclocks.com
I'm working on an antique tall case clock. The fly on it is very loose on its arbor. A previous repair had been to put some rubbery type of adheasive over part of the fly and its arbor. I cleaned it off. It is very loose and useless in this condition. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten the fly? I have tried pressing the metal closer to the arbor to create some friction, but it isn't enough. I was wondering if there was a trick to this.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Some times you can put a tiny wire under the pring, near the rivet, then try to tension it. remove the wire afterwards. It will allow you to deform it little more doing it this way.

You might have to make a new spring and rivets, if that fails. Is the spring worn? ....they often are, should be replaced.

There a lot of hokey alternative methods.

Ralph

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
If you remove the fly from the arbor before pressing the hole smaller you should be able to get it.

Tony Ambruso

Dec 2, 2005
www.azclocks.com
I removed it and flatened the whole deal, and this helped. I didn't really want to replace it because of its age, if I didn't have to. I was afraid the "spring section" would break during the flatening process. I took the chance, and it worked out OK. Better than pouring rubber cement all over it. Thanks guys.
:thumb:

David Robertson

Jan 6, 2003
Country
Region
Tony,

Did you take the fly off of the arbor before you pressed the two sides closer together? You must do this, otherwise, as you have found, it will not get tight enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJLEBOATBABE
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-