Flume F53 Lathe Base

Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
Bondi
geocities.ws
Country
Region
G'Day Jon!

Seems no one has given you an answer. Myself I do not have the Flume F53, however I do have a similar cast iron pedestal by Andrä & Zwingenberger with a motor carrier, not too different than the F53.

I do not use it much as my workhorse lathe, the Favorite II is bench mounted together with Multifix M80 motor. I am using the RE60 motor, the same one as was supplied with F53 with my Lorch 8 mm D-bed lathe. The whole F53 base with motor is damn heavy, stable and convenient in use, easy to put away when bench is needed for other work.

Cheers, Dushan

Last edited:

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
I don't see much advantage, apart from the fact that it is a self-contained unit, for use with a slide-rest. This adjustable pad in front might be useful when using a graver - but then I am not really a graver-user.

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
I think these were specifically designed for fine / occasional work on modern wristwatches, etc. Is that your plan?

One can never have too many lathes ;-)

Dushan Grujich

Jun 20, 2003
Bondi
geocities.ws
Country
Region
How does this compare with a Boley F-1
G'Day Jon!

Boley F1 is a different class lathe. OTOH, Lorch D-bed is 20 mm in diameter, Andrä & Zwingenberger bed is 25 mm, and Boley and Leinen Reform bed is 30 mm. The Flume F53 was made for these lighter lathes as Betzel already suggested, even the RE60 motor supplied with it confirms it. Regardless of all the accessories made for these lathes they all are rather flimsy compared to the likes of F1, WW or Favorite II or III.

When razor blade testing any of these lighter lathes, a light finger pressure downwards, at the tail stock end, causes the razor blade to fall down. They were intended for staff turning and light general turning e.g. bushings, jewel hole mounting, uprighting etc.

Cheers, Dushan

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
razor blade testing any of these lighter lathes, a light finger pressure downwards, at the tail stock end, causes the razor blade to fall down.
I knew everything deflects, but I thought that test was just for head/tail alignment & finding the center-line against a cutter. Every day I learn something new, so thanks.

Yep. my geneva absolutely deflects this much...and I need to clean up that dead center runner.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff