Flossing My Clock?

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by Jim DuBois, Jul 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, here we have a pillar and scroll that some fine person redid in apparently a marine grade spar varnish. It is the nastiest stuff I ever stripped. (I am usually a purest who leaves original surfaces and finishes whenever possible) But this clock had been stripped and refinished a long time ago, inside and out topside and bottom. Just what I like, high gloss, failing finish, over interior parts? The failing finish had turned a bleached blond. It looked like the clock had sat in direct and strong sunlight for XX years. But, the wood was fine, the finish not so much. Oh, and over the interior varnish someone applied a red barn paint just to keep it interesting

I finally found a stripper that would lift this stuff, but it all turns to a mixture of bubble gum and superglue and is no fun to remove. I finally got it down to having to floss out many of the recesses using coarse twine and acetone. I recall a curse I might wish upon the fellow who did this spar varnish finish, it called for the fleas of a thousand camels as a start.

OK DuBois, would you like a bit of cheese with all this whine? End of rant, back to work!

20190706_144318.jpg 20190706_144311.jpg 20190614_160806.jpg 20190614_163620.jpg

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you going to leave us hanging?

Tom

3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here you go...

20190706_183602.jpg

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. I've heard of that, but never tried it. Good to know.

To.

5. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can you tell us which products to avoid?
    I've always used aircraft stripper in my Corvette (and metal-bodied cars) work, but don't generally like what it does with wood. Citrus based strippers are supposed to be decent for biological-based varnishes, but it takes quite a while soaking to work.
    I guess it'd be best to actually know what kind of varnish was on your clock, but that's probably impossible to know, for sure.