Floral Clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by le arsi, Sep 1, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Watchmaker,tower clockmaker, watch repair teacher/
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Do you know the largest floral clock in the world? And what country is it? Thank you for your kind reply.

2. flynwill

flynwill Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Rolling Hills Estates, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since no one else has answered I'll give you a data point.

There's a Floral Clock here on the Palos Verdes peninsula (near Los Angeles, CA, USA) with a 25' dial. It was a present to the city by Michel Medawar a Jeweler, Watch & clock dealer across the street from the clock. It announces the hour, and plays the Star Spangled Banner and noon.

But I very much doubt it is the largest in the USA.

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to the Guinness Book of Records, it's in Matsubara Park, Izu township, Shizuoka prefecture, Japan. The dial is 31 meters in diameter! The location is about 150 km southwest of Tokyo on the Izu peninsula. Check HERE.

4. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have to throw Kentucky's floral clock into this discussion. It is located on the capital grounds in Frankfort. The face of this colorful flowering clock is 34 ft across and is planted with thousands of plants. My understanding is there are two others like it. One on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls and the other in Belgium somewhere.

untitled.png

5. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of you may not know that a couple decades ago NAWCC bought the vacant corner lot on the opposite corner of the headquarters building with the goal of eventually putting a huge floral clock on it. Several years ago we sobered up and sold the land. There is now a condo on it. The cost to have maintained the clock would have been prohibitive.

Frank

6. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    There is one at the Golden Gate Park Conservatory but the dial
    is only about 20-25 feet across. A search on google will provide
    many different faces.
    It is a nice clock that is always changing both time and appearance.
    Tinker Dwight

7. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Watchmaker,tower clockmaker, watch repair teacher/
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all guys for the replies. I think now the largest is in Japan for its 31 meters in diameter. I asked this because at present I'm working on my second floral clock sized 17-meter diameter using my own design- a two wheel clock movement and first in my country and maybe in the world. Hmm... expecting in the future to meet a client who would want a 32-meter wide floral clock to take the place as the largest? Thanks.
    2014-08-25 10.10.27.jpg

8. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    3CC6D839-875D-4683-8002-DBEB6E447AFE.jpeg 1EC93CAF-2944-4595-B535-C4B3F3383129.jpeg

This is the “currant” look of the Kentucky Floral clock located on the grounds of the state Capitol in Frankfort, KY. My understanding is that it was built in 1961. The “reproduced vintage postcard” is a huge banner on a side of a building in the historic downtown area of Frankfort! And by the way, the inside of the Capitol building is simply amazing. Interesting feature of the Capitol building are that the glass skylights came from Kokomo, IN. This building was built between 1905-1910.
    A2C03B61-67B4-449E-B785-3F77052B031D.jpeg 516CFB4B-7974-4B45-BFA3-C21FFF4A4D96.jpeg 26755314-ED32-4D32-A037-9A86F091A020.jpeg
    Brad Maisto, KY Floral #44 Secretary (now a Hoosier) living in Grandview, IN.

PatH likes this.