• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Floating Balance for E SCHMECKENBECHER Cuckoo Clock Wanted

PaulMcG

Mar 22, 2014
I am trying to locate a replacement floating balance for a E Schmeckenbecher bird cage cuckoo clock. I presume this part was probably used in many other clocks as it does seem a rather generic part although I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have attached a photo. I damaged my original one and my repair went from bad to worse from my own in experience. Valuable lessons leaned. I really just need the replacement fork and pinion not necessarily the whole unit but this also seems impossible to find. Many thanks
image.jpg

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
with all respect:I wouldn't call this a floating balance .In these,the balance wheel is suspended by a specialy shaped spiral spring and guided by a verry thin wire through two jeweled holes in its shaft.
What You have is an angulated pin pallet platform.What is wrong with it?
Best regards
Burkhard

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMcG

Mar 22, 2014
Thank you for the reply and the correction of what it is actually called.
I broke off the two pins on the fork and made things worse with the fork when trying to replace the pins. So I need a new fork and arbor, basically what is shown in the right hand side of the photo, or a complete replacement unit. If you have a spare escapement unit I can buy or know where I can obtain one please let me know. Thanks again for the reply.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I've never run into this type of balance. Good chance you will wait a long time to find another. Perhaps if you send the parts off to an expert it could be salvaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent