• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Flies

aitchgee

Feb 5, 2013
Surrey, UK
Country
I noticed on another thread a reference to a fly having been soldered up, and the tone of the comment was that this was something no gentleman would ever do.
Could someone explain why the leaf isn't made to be solid with the pinion and shaft? Is the idea that under some circumstances it should be able to slip? When? I'd like to understand this.
Regards,
Henry

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Well 'enoi, you've scarcely been 'ere a fortnight and already exposed a weakness. Sadly I must admit not all 'ere are gentlemen. 'owever matey the good gnus! There is a very valid reason for the fly being able to slip and others FAR more qualified will tell you why.

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
Hi others will have a more scientific explanation, but basically the fly absobs and dissipates the energy of the faster moving strike train when it comes to the end of its run with a sudden stop. The fly leaf continues instead of that energy being put into extra strain and wear on thepivots and teeth.
David

aitchgee

Feb 5, 2013
Surrey, UK
Country
Well 'enoi, you've scarcely been 'ere a fortnight and already exposed a weakness. Sadly I must admit not all 'ere are gentlemen. 'owever matey the good gnus! There is a very valid reason for the fly being able to slip and others FAR more qualified will tell you why.
Blimey, guv, yer all gents on 'ere far as I'm concerned- them as not's ladies, of course. 'elping aht us ignoramuses? Course yer gents!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hi others will have a more scientific explanation, but basically the fly absobs and dissipates the energy of the faster moving strike train when it comes to the end of its run with a sudden stop. The fly leaf continues instead of that energy being put into extra strain and wear on thepivots and teeth.
David
Pretty close. The fly continuing to spin after impact helps keep your stop pin from bending, breaking off.

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
It absorbs the power being displaced.

H/C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rastable1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions