Flammable solvent in ultrasonic!?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Altashot, Aug 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM.

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Altashot

    Altashot Registered User

    Oct 12, 2017
    87
    5
    8
    Male
    Country Flag:
    A Clockmaker friend of mine uses a waterless solvent in his ultrasonic bath. I asked him if he was at all concerned about using a flammable liquid in an electric appliance. He said he never really thought about it. He gets good results with his cleaner and swears by it.

    I asked because my ultrasonic bath clearly states, right beside the on/off/timer switch: “Do not use flammable liquids. Use water based solvents only”.

    For those of you who use waterless flammable solvents, are there no warnings on your machines? Are you just ignoring the warnings? Am I just being a wuss to be concerned about this?

    Max.
     
  2. woodlawndon

    woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

    Jan 18, 2017
    480
    59
    28
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, you're not a wuss, flammable liquids should not be used in an ultrasonic machine. The cavitation of the machine greatly increases the amount of vapour produced, the flammable mix, especially directly over the liquid would easily be in the explosive range air mixture, especially with a lid. This will happen even with a weak solvent mixture. A spark from the machine itself or something else and you will have a bad day.

    Having said that, it would be possible to get out of the explosive range with enough extracted ventilation but I don't know why anyone would bother. Best not to use flammable liquids in the machine period, not worth it.
     
  3. R. Croswell

    R. Croswell Registered User

    Apr 4, 2006
    8,751
    372
    83
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unless you have a commercial "explosion proof" rated US in a fire containing booth just don't taka a chance. Some solvents are more volatile than others and those like gasoline and acetone that produce combustible vapors at the temperature reached in the US are the greatest risk. Such vapors can accumulate in the room at the floor level and be ignited by sources other than the US itself. Back in the 1960s I worked for an electronics manufacturing company and we used acetone and other combustible solvents in a US surrounded by a metal enclosure and exhaust fan. I think we were lucky.

    RC
     
  4. shutterbug

    shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

    Oct 19, 2005
    39,452
    495
    83
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Turning an electrical device on or off creates a spark. I don't think it's wise to test fate.
     
  5. Altashot

    Altashot Registered User

    Oct 12, 2017
    87
    5
    8
    Male
    Country Flag:
    How would we explain this?
    ADD0A8BC-D3C5-4823-934A-C3139132B13C.jpeg BB7AF9AD-38C7-4AB0-852A-248A53B21F1C.jpeg
    It an “Ultrasonic Cleaning Fluid”
    And in red “Warning Combustible Liquid”.

    I assume it’s safe to use. Maybe it doesn’t produce explosive gas?

    Flammable means the flashpoint is below 100 degrees Fahrenheit and combustible is above 100 degrees.

    Still confused.

    Max.
     
  6. shutterbug

    shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

    Oct 19, 2005
    39,452
    495
    83
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the Zenith supposed to be mixed with water? It may be flammable in it's concentrated form, but not so much when mixed.
     
  7. Uhralt

    Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

    Sep 4, 2008
    2,977
    244
    63
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That would be a logical explanation. Like concentrated alcohol which is flammable but the 5% beer doesn't burn.

    Uhralt
    .
     
  8. Altashot

    Altashot Registered User

    Oct 12, 2017
    87
    5
    8
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I just checked with my supplier.
    They said it’s a premixed solution and is used as is.
    I also asked about the warning. I was told that it “should” be safe as it is sold and used as is.

    Max.
     
  9. R. Croswell

    R. Croswell Registered User

    Apr 4, 2006
    8,751
    372
    83
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Of course the supplier has a built in conflict of interest. Bottom line is that the manufacturer felt (or was required by law) to put that warning on the product. It is up to the consumer to determine if the product can be safely used in the specific equipment the consumer has. If the ultrasonic manufacturer says that flammable cleaners should not be used in that specific machine then you would be well advised not to use this product in that machine. The maker warns that this product is "for professional use only". It may be perfectly safe in an ultrasonic cleaner rater for combustible cleaners and still pose a fire hazard if used in the US you have.

    RC
     

Share This Page