FJC trademark clock

Triple_M

NAWCC Member
Apr 18, 2021
Country
I picked this clock-up last week the -I've found very little information for the trade mark FJC (Fürderer, Jägler & Cie.) I'm trying to find a similar example so I can find a similar designed Pendulum

After cleaning layers of thick dirt --- this is what I'm seeing -- the pendulum is missing and a gear is stripped otherwise it seems fairly intact.

IMG_7329.jpg IMG_7331.JPG IMG_7335.JPG IMG_7336.JPG IMG_7340.JPG

Reactions: Salsagev

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.

The 'abbreviated' :) history of Fürderer, Jägler follows.

The firm of Fürderer, Jägler & Cie. in Neustadt was established in the 1850s and went out of business in 1887. In 1889, the tools and machinery of F&J were sold to Höhnisch & Cie. Höhnisch & Cie. continued to produce F&J movements. There is not much known about Höhnisch after 1893 or so.

FJC had their headquarters in Neustadt and also had operations in Lenzkirch, as well as in France in Strasbourg and Paris. [Courtesy Doug Stevenson and H-H Schmid] I am not sure if these operations were branch offices or production facilities.

Whereas it appears that FJC made their own movements, we have also seen movements with the FJC trademark that were made by other German movement manufacturers. This was not uncommon in the German clock supply chain.

The style of your movement was first produced, I believe, by Japy, one of the major French manufacturers. This style movement was also produced by Lenzkirch and possibly others.

I'm trying to find a similar example so I can find a similar designed Pendulum
Based on the above, you may want to expand your search for the style of movement and not limit your search to FJC.

Regards.

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Interesting. I like it.

A Black Forest (?) clock with a French word for incorporation "Cie" in their name? Seems strange. And the crutch looks French, too, but I have not seen a lot of these. But, the way the barrels are secured in the back reminds me of an FFR with their "banding" style.

It looks like only a few teeth are missing on the hour wheel, which is a very low torque spot, so unless it is a bad photo, it may have lost it's teeth via a bad dentist. You will have some rust to deal with; my guess would be the springs should be handled very carefully, in case one snaps.

Is that a smooth snail? I'm really new at this, but have never seen that before.

Is that a Turk on a horse? A Moor? What kind of boat is that in the bottom with the bird-like front. Vikings with a tan?

Mysteriousness...

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Is that a Turk on a horse? A Moor? What kind of boat is that in the bottom with the bird-like front. Vikings with a tan?
I think the artist is doing his best to create a rather mixed middle-Eastern scene. The man on a horse with a dog is very much like the style of hunters depicted in Persian miniatures. The boat is meant, I think, to be a dhow or perhaps a felucca. The surrounding buildings are meant to be 'eastern style', but resemble more the domes of some European churches.

But if you consider the attempts of European porcelain manufacturers to create 'Chinese' scenes on their copies of willow pattern, perhaps we can forgive the painter of this dial.

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
A Black Forest (?) clock with a French word for incorporation "Cie" in their name? Seems strange
Not really, Fürderer, Jägler & Cie were very closely connected to France, the French market made up a large part of their sales. They had a branch in Paris called Maison Furderer and in some German and Austrian circles it was considered 'classy' to have a breath of French air about your business, such as Cie.

JTD

Reactions: new2clocks

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
...perhaps we can forgive the painter of this dial.
Absolutely. The world was a much more mysterious place then, even when this was painted. The mountains in the back are nice, too.

Thanks for your comments on the clock, the art and the history. To me, the shape and size are interesting, and it was painted --by hand-- by someone which is pretty much a lost art these days so respect is due. You have far more experience than I. Have you seen many like this before?

Do you see smooth snailing often?

Triple_M

NAWCC Member
Apr 18, 2021
Country
Welcome to the forum.

The 'abbreviated' :) history of Fürderer, Jägler follows.

The firm of Fürderer, Jägler & Cie. in Neustadt was established in the 1850s and went out of business in 1887. In 1889, the tools and machinery of F&J were sold to Höhnisch & Cie. Höhnisch & Cie. continued to produce F&J movements. There is not much known about Höhnisch after 1893 or so.

FJC had their headquarters in Neustadt and also had operations in Lenzkirch, as well as in France in Strasbourg and Paris. [Courtesy Doug Stevenson and H-H Schmid] I am not sure if these operations were branch offices or production facilities.

Whereas it appears that FJC made their own movements, we have also seen movements with the FJC trademark that were made by other German movement manufacturers. This was not uncommon in the German clock supply chain.

The style of your movement was first produced, I believe, by Japy, one of the major French manufacturers. This style movement was also produced by Lenzkirch and possibly others.

Based on the above, you may want to expand your search for the style of movement and not limit your search to FJC.

Regards.
When I first purchased -- I was thinking the movement was French -- then I saw the trade mark and everything got real fuzzy. Japy seems like a possibility.

Triple_M

NAWCC Member
Apr 18, 2021
Country
I think the artist is doing his best to create a rather mixed middle-Eastern scene. The man on a horse with a dog is very much like the style of hunters depicted in Persian miniatures. The boat is meant, I think, to be a dhow or perhaps a felucca. The surrounding buildings are meant to be 'eastern style', but resemble more the domes of some European churches.

But if you consider the attempts of European porcelain manufacturers to create 'Chinese' scenes on their copies of willow pattern, perhaps we can forgive the painter of this dial.

JTD
Looks like there is mother of pearl imbedded in the painting -- it's interesting -- I've attached some additional pictures with the mother of pearl

FJC face (1).JPG FJC face (2).JPG FJC face (3).JPG FJC face (4).JPG

Reactions: Betzel

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I was thinking the movement was French -- then I saw the trade mark and everything got real fuzzy. Japy seems like a possibility.
To avoid confusion, I am not saying that Japy made the movement, but the style, I believe, was made by Japy and others.

Regards.

Triple_M

NAWCC Member
Apr 18, 2021
Country
Interesting. I like it.

A Black Forest (?) clock with a French word for incorporation "Cie" in their name? Seems strange. And the crutch looks French, too, but I have not seen a lot of these. But, the way the barrels are secured in the back reminds me of an FFR with their "banding" style.

It looks like only a few teeth are missing on the hour wheel, which is a very low torque spot, so unless it is a bad photo, it may have lost it's teeth via a bad dentist. You will have some rust to deal with; my guess would be the springs should be handled very carefully, in case one snaps.

Is that a smooth snail? I'm really new at this, but have never seen that before.

Mysteriousness...
Springs are still intact-- I backed them off -- right now -- this will have to wait

The hour wheel is missing 3-4 teeth -- might send it out for repair -- I would attempt myself if the it was a common movement. Since I'm a novelist -- not sure I want to attempt

Reactions: Betzel

Triple_M

NAWCC Member
Apr 18, 2021
Country
To avoid confusion, I am not saying that Japy made the movement, but the style, I believe, was made by Japy and others.

Regards.
Understood -- I know it was an example

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre