• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

first time building a grandfather clock

han0522

New User
Aug 31, 2021
Country
I'm a woodworker and I am building the case for a grandfather clock that will be 80 in tall, 18 in wide, 12 in deep. I'm new to clock movements, etc and I want to make sure I am ordering the right parts and not missing something.

I'm planning on ordering the 1161-853 with auto night shut off. I'll need a 12-rod v-shaped chime block. I want a simpler looking pendulum so I'm wanting a wooden stick pendulum and a brass bob that is 8.5 inches in diameter. As such it looks like I need two 9.9 pound weights and a 7.7 pound weight.

This is where I'm getting confused. For the weights I'm not sure if I just need to order a weight kit with the outer sleeve, the weight filler, and caps or if there is some other part I need between the weight and the cables.

I'm also confused as to the pendulum. I see I can order a brass bob of the right dimension and a wooden 114 cm long rod, but I'm not sure what part connects the pendulum to the movement, if there is a part that goes on the end of the pendulum to help with adjusting the swing frequency, and how the brass bob connect to the wooden rod.

Any help would be appreciated.
chris

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Hi Chris,

Your weights will hook directly to the pulleys that hang from the cables. Not sure if your new movement will come with them. This company Klockit has a variety of weight shells and Timesavers has options for the pendulum assembly.

Good luck. Vernon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-