First Time and Why?

dickstorer

Oct 19, 2010
Hampton, Georgia
Country
Region
IMG_7727.jpg the wheel on the left is from a URGOS 9 tube movement. The mov't number is 03038B, there is another number--247483--that I am not sure about. As you can see the left escape wheel is very worn and completely un usable, the one on the right is its replacement. My question is why? I have been doing this for almost 50 years and this is first time I have seen this. There is no wear on the pallets and the pallet bridge is not adjustable so I am wondering how it happened/

Dick Storer

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Maybe the victim of an anchor removal without letting down the power?

dickstorer

Oct 19, 2010
Hampton, Georgia
Country
Region
The owner stated that it had run for several years after its previous repair so I think that rules out SB's theory. And the bushings are OK It is running great with its new escape wheel
Looking at the worn wheel really close shows the teeth are not all worn off uniformly.

Dick

Steven Sandberg

NAWCC Member
Oct 16, 2010
Malaga, WA
Country
Region
With the tooth damage being so non uniform it sure looks like some abuse rather than normal wear. May be the second hand if it has one was forced around damaging that sector? It is common to see that model have teeth worn so the escapement action is unacceptable but that is uniform around the wheel. How was the clock running prior to you seeing it, running way fast?

Steven Sandberg
Malaga WA

dickstorer

Oct 19, 2010
Hampton, Georgia
Country
Region
Steven,
Yes it was extremely fast. When I first looked at the clock it was not running, so I just gave the pendulum a little swing and noticed the second hand advancing at a rapid rate. With the amplitude as short as 1/2 it would still skip teeth. That is when I removed the weight, I did not want to damage it further. Customer stated that it had not been running for some time but that it ran for several years after its previous repair. I am eager to know how it wore the way it is.

Dick

dad1891

Feb 28, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Country
I have been told that problems with Urgos escape wheels are not that uncommon. The way it was described to me looked exactly like the EW in your photo. I would think that lubrication (or lack thereof) played some role in the failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellywiglesworth10@gmail.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-