First post - new acquisition

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by ScotSun, Nov 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I just found your forums after starting in on experimenting with minor repairs and finding that I enjoyed it...

This is a clock that I actually found this summer in England. But it has a Seth Thomas movement...
    20170909_124744.jpg

It ran for a couple months after I got it home to South Florida and then, as you can see from the pic of the movement, the mainspring broke near the arbor...
    20171105_130719.jpg
    ...I purchased a new one online and managed to get it installed and everything back in working order.

I was wondering if the case was original to the movement. I kinda think it is because of the cutout at the top for the air brake (told you I am new...don't know all the correct terminology...:) ) and the center hole for the hands is larger to accommodate the alarm dial.

The stamp indicates Thomaston, CT so I know that it is post-1865 but if anyone can date it closer, it would be appreciated...

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Air brake is good. Flywheel is another name. I'd say the case is original.

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scot, welcome to the board.

The folks with access to Seth Thomas literature should be along shortly to identify the name of the clock and the date of manufacture.

My only comment with respect to originality pertains to the wood that surrounds the dial. As you look at the dial, the wood on the left side of the dial appears to be different type of wood and a different color as the wood on the right of the dial. This could be caused by the picture that you provided. I also noticed that the clock is facing an open window on a sunny day. Perhaps this distorts the picture. Please provide another picture without the interference of the sunny window.

Regards.

4. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome Scot!
    What you call the air brake is most commonly called the fly. I don't see many US clocks this side of the pond personally.

5. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    according to tran, it's a 'chicago v.p.' .... 8-day, spring, strike, 18" tall, with and without alarm... 1879-ish

6. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you very much... I will try and post another pic tomorrow. I took one with the case open as that is where the glare was coming from. But the wood is definitely one piece. There is a grain flaw and it is much darker on one side than the other. It is an irregular line and obviously not a join.

7. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Bruce! What, may I ask, is "tran"?

8. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Tran Duy Ly published a number of clock identification books such as Seth Thomas (2 volumes), Welch, Waterbury (2 volumes), Ansonia,
    New Haven, Kroeber, Sessions, Gilbert, Longcase....

You may find them on Ebay, ArlingtonClocks.com (I believe this is the correct site) and at some clock parts supply houses.

9. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

This is the closeup pic of the wood variation...
    20171128_220212.jpg

10. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like part of the dial surround was repaired with a new piece of wood at some time. This originally would be one piece.

11. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It actually is one piece and not a repair. If you open the pic and zoom, you may be able to see this...although maybe the pic could be better, but that black line you see is actually a natural feature of the wood and separates the darker side from the lighter. I suspect that that "two-tone" may have been thought a "feature" of the wood when it was crafted. Why you would have darker on one side and not the other, I am not sure. I will need to wait until my father-in-law comes out as he is a wood turner and fairly knowledgeable about types of wood. He may be able to tell me what wood it is and why it is darker on one side...

12. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the wood is all original and is just showing normal signs of old age. Probably cracked somewhere down the line.

Kinda like me, I'm getting a little old and cracked myself!