First foray into watches - Waltham 1883

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by woodlawndon, Mar 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi folks, first time posting on the Watch section of the forum. I am a fairly new collector/repairer of antique clocks, I have jumped into it pretty heavily and have enjoyed it immensely. I figured it might be time to look at the watch world.

I picked up this Waltham 1883 which I believe is from 1912 by the serial number. I totally get that this isn't a rare or valuable watch but it will probably be my gateway piece. It runs great and I plan to carry it daily while also learning how to clean and service them. Thanks for listening.
    Don

fullsizeoutput_44e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_44f.jpeg

PatH, Rick Hufnagel and musicguy like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Soon your house will be full of them ;)

Rob

3. viclip

viclip Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of watches.

If I may, I would advise against making the same mistake that I made, namely beginning with working on a Waltham 1883, which model has a full plate architecture. In addition to the issue respecting removing the lever without breaking it on the potance, re-assembling full plate watches can be a real bear for the inexperienced, easily resulting in bent or broken pivots.

I'd suggest starting off with a finger bridge movement, or at least a 1/2 plate type.

4. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Rick Hufnagel, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Nice! Congrats and welcome!

I also agree with Vic's statement about starting with full plate watches. Pick up some orphaned 12 or 16 size 3/4 plate elgins, or walthams and practice. Then you'll get the feel for it. Do not start by working on something you care about!

Have a good day!

woodlawndon likes this.
  5. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the advice about not starting with servicing this one, appreciate it. I've got lots of reading and studying to do before I will pop the lid on anything.
    Don

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There will be lots of advice given. I suggest just getting a few movements, non running or not, and get used to taking it apart and putting it back together with out breaking something. Once you are pretty good at that, take a part a runner and do the same. There are lots of good used tools out there. Dont buy crappy tools.

7. rdixiemiller

rdixiemiller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Senior engineer at Toyota USA (Paint)
    North West Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is the best advice anyone can give you. I like the Starrett screwdrivers, I hunt them down as partial sets on the online auction sites. Get a good, fine, hard oilstone, and a screwdriver sharpening roller guide. You can repoint almost any screwdriver, but cheap ones aren’t worth having.
    Good tweezers are also a must.
    A good magnavisor is really necessary, especially if you are like me, and don’t have young eyes anymore.

woodlawndon and Kevin W. like this.
  8. Dano4734

Dano4734 Registered User

It’s a great watch welcome. Eventually you can join our addiction support group. We don’t try to quit buying. We just talk about our latest buying:)

woodlawndon and Kevin W. like this.