Finding right balance staff

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by BCMC, Mar 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BCMC

BCMC Registered User

Dec 27, 2014
    Retired LAPD
    Eagle Idaho
    Country Flag:
    I have the biggest problem trying to identify the right staff to order. It took two orders to finally get the correct one on a Vanguard. My latest is for a Hamilton 992, ser#2584923. Double roller. I'll attach a picture but taken from phone so not real clear. Both pivots are gone so I can't measure the pivot size. If anyone can give me advice on getting the right staff ordered I would really appreciate it. I've researched several sites but am still not sure. Thanks T 992 staff.png

2. Samie Smith

Samie Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    watchmaker
    Monticello ky.
    Country Flag:
    The balance staff you need is the # 434 these came either with a small collet or large collet ((where the hairspring fits)) pivot will be a 10 or 11 mm..

SmithyMoarra likes this.
  3. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    From the serial number you have a 992E and in my tables there are two types: Factory number 603 or 659.
    They have different lengths namely 5,34mm or 5,70mm so possibly you can make out which you need by measuring what is left of your old staff.

EDIT You seem to have an answer from Samie who probably knows more than me about these watches. Good luck!

4. BCMC

BCMC Registered User

Dec 27, 2014
    Retired LAPD
    Eagle Idaho
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, can you explain how I can determine if I have a small collet or large. Thanks T

5. BCMC

BCMC Registered User

Dec 27, 2014
    Retired LAPD
    Eagle Idaho
    Country Flag:
    I had no idea it was an 992e. I didn't pay that much attention. Bought it off a local guy who deals in watches. There is no way he knew it was an E. What a nice surprise. Thanks T

6. BCMC

BCMC Registered User

Dec 27, 2014
    Retired LAPD
    Eagle Idaho
    Country Flag:
    The staff measures 466 with both pivots broken. Which of the two do you think is the right one. Thanks T

7. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Sorry but I don't know. I don't work on Hamilton very often......

I would guess that the pivots are some 0,3mm so the shorter i.e. #603 might do the job. Personally I would get one of each, just to be on the safe side!

8. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    With the cock in place, measure with your micrometer over the cap jewels. Then pop them out and measure the caps in their settings and subtract them from the first measurement. It will be easy to tell which of those lengths is right.

I think it probably takes the 603. It's friction, right? 434 is a rivet staff.

9. Samie Smith

Samie Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    watchmaker
    Monticello ky.
    Country Flag:
    #10 Samie Smith, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    yes Skutt50 you are right 434 is for a 992 .... if it is a 992e it will take the friction fit 603 staff either pivot 10 11 or 12 mm. the 659 staff is for the 992b, and will not work for the 992e.

Should have looked at he serial # frist before posting glad someone did before you ordered the wrong staff

10. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The original photo posted above sure looks like a friction staff, so 603.

11. BCMC

BCMC Registered User

Dec 27, 2014
    Retired LAPD
    Eagle Idaho
    Country Flag:
    The 603 appears to be the correct staff for sure. I now have to figure out the pivot size. I had a 10 pivot from another watch and it leaned quite a bit, over the 5 degrees. I'll try to find an 11 or 12 and see how that will fit. T

12. Dave Coatsworth

NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 603 was originally available from the factory in an 11 and a 12.

13. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Suppose you have hundreds of staffs all sorts of sizes in a box, how would you go about sorting/using them?

14. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hundreds of staffs unsorted and loose in a box? Oh, what a fun time you're in for!

Basically, this is going to have to be a brute-force event: you measure each staff carefully (all dimensions), and then look up what staff has those dimensions in a database (and good luck finding a complete database of all staffs).

You'll be at it a while.

15. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I have the same problem.... Hundreds of staffs in a tin can as well as an unknown assortment in nice drawers without any table to guide me.....

I have sorted a few that were easy. Extra long or some odd dimension to go by, but the majority are just laying there,,,
    I have no current plans for them.....

16. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some staffs are unique enough to spot by eye. I measure the length for candidates, then balance seat.
    Guess I was hoping for miracle answer.

17. Dave Coatsworth

NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I went through this exercise way back when I started repairing. (I guess everyone does!) What I did was to start out sorting them into piles by size and style. I used those plastic water color paint trays to sort. Then find identical staffs in each of those groups and put them together. Then you are on to measuring to determine exactly what your small groups are. It also helps to readily recognize the 'important' staffs such as the Waltham 4861, the Illinois 1506, the Hamilton 603, etc.

geo.ulrich likes this.