Finding correct font for glass lettering

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by woodlawndon, Feb 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I mentioned in another thread that I wanted to replace some missing lettering on a door glass, in this case the words Canadian Time. A local sign maker said he could make me a transfer no problem and we found the correct colours, but finding the font has been a problem.

He made me a couple of examples, the size, everything was fine except the font, it was close but not close enough for me to use them rather than leave the glass blank.

Ronnie was kind enough to give me a jpeg of the lettering but does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a font style to the sign maker? Thanks.
    Don
    Pequegnat decal.jpeg

2. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Try going to www.myfonts.com and use the What's My Font on the toolbar to see if you can find the font.

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just curious, can he make a transfer from the jpeg?

4. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dick, I'll try that, didn't even know such sites existed for font.
    Pat, he said he could easily make a transfer if the file was pdf where he could pull each letter off but he couldn't with a jpeg because it was just a picture.

5. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good to know. Thanks!

6. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    If all else fails you can use the JPEG as a template to redraw the letters.

A local club member wanted a Railroad logo for his regulator. He sent me some photos of the logo and I used them to draw the logo in a graphic program. I then used a Vinyl Cutter to make him some self adhesive vinyl logos that he used to reverse paint his glass.

7. woodlawndon

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This sounds interesting SG. I'm fairly good with computers but I'm afraid I'm a total neophyte with graphic programs. Could you please explain the process more or would you allow me to PM you for more info? A sign shop site I was on was talking about vectoring to make the jpeg a pdf but I kind of got lost about what they were doing.
    Don

8. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    The program I use is Corel Draw (a fairly old version but it still does what I want). It is a vector program as opposed to a program that uses pixels.

Th benefits of a vector program is that you can draw it at any size and then you can make it bigger or smaller without loss of detail.

You might already know this but I figured I would include it for those who do not know.

I would then import the image into a layer in the vector program. I can then lock that layer so it can not be accidentally moved, resized etc. With graphics programs you can move the layers to the back or front. In this case we move it right to the back so that anything we draw will go on top of the image.

I then create a new layer for each colour (Black, Gold).

There are a couple of ways to proceed depending on the program.

Method 1 - least amount of work
    I find a font that is close and type in the words
    In my program i control the fill colour and a border colour. I can make the border black and I can control the thickness. I can make the fill colour gold.
    I break up the words I have typed so I can control each letter individually. Each letter is now a graphic element. I move each letter to be over the image. I can them move the points of each letter to match the image letters. I can add or remove points as needed.

Method 2 - brute force method 1
    I can draw a square and control the fill and border colour.
    I then make that square a graphic. This means I can add and remove points If I add a point it is now a 5 sided graphic. If I remove a point it is now a triangle.
    I move the square to over the first letter. I then start adding points and moving points so I am basically creating the letter. Similar to above but in this case every letter is created.

Hopefully that makes sense.

woodlawndon likes this.