Finally After All These Years

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bill Keller, Sep 16, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Bill Keller

Bill Keller Guest

I would suggest that your clock may need a little overhaul. Remove the back and the hands. The hour hand is probably friction fit and should be removed carefully after the minute hand is removed. The mionute hand is probably held by a nut, but it could also be a friction fit. Once the back and jands are removed, remove the works from the case. Your motor may be a "screw-type" with a spring beneath it or there may be screws and nuts. If so, unscrew the nuts and remove the motor from the movement per se. To quiet the motor I have found TV tunner cleaner and lube from Radio DShack works very well in softening the hard oil in the motor -- caused by the heat of same. Spray the cleaner around the aresa where the gear comes through, thehn let it set for a day and spray again. Once the bad oil is softened, put some clock oil around the shaft opening. Then try the motor to see if it is quieted. Your hands may be loose on the shaft and they can be tightened by very gentle squeezing with a pliers. Questions?
    e-mail me

------------------
    Bill K

2. Len Lataille

Len Lataille Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Is that stuff flammable? Remember you're applying it to an area that gets "warm."

Len