Finally acquired an Atmos!

Derek Smith

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2017
Ellicott City, MD
Country
Region
From the first time I ever saw an Atmos clock, while spending a year in Switzerland, in July, 1975, I've always wanted one. I would stand at the side display window at the watch shop across the street from our house and just stare, mesmerized by these marvelous devices.

Well, while wondering through the Mart at this year's NAWCC national convention, in York, PA, I put on my blinders and went searching for my dream. I found several and ended up going back and forth trying to decide which was the better purchase and actually had working bellows.

I ended up settling on a 528-8 from seller Patrick Fay out of Bayonne, NJ at Table C 303. While we talked about our passions and of course clocks, repairing techniques, etc, we dickered the price which I'll just keep to myself for now.

Anyway, I got my prize home today and leveled it on the shelf in my shop. Unlocked the disc and let it settle for about 30 minutes. Seems to run well so I set the time. A few hours later, the time was still on the money. I also have a digital thermometer on the self and placed it next to the clock. The thermometer keeps low and high temp and I was pleased to see the range was about 68F - 73F. I made careful note of the exact position of the chain and was thrilled to see it had moved just a slight amount over about 4 or 5 hours. I hoping it wasn't my imagination!

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can confirm the date of manufacture. It's a Caliber 528-8 S/N: 446294

Also, it appears to be missing whatever is normally inserted into the bottom of the feet to avoid scratching the table, shelf, etc. Any help with identifying replacements is appreciated!

Derek

IMG_4162.JPG IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1093.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: BogWood

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Congrats! Looks like the date is pretty much July 1975. As for the feet, what about finding a few of those big pencils with an eraser on the end. Cutoff the eraser and fit it in the hole. Make them relatively even so the leveling adjuster can still bring the whole base back into level.

Kurt

Derek Smith

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2017
Ellicott City, MD
Country
Region
Looks like the date is pretty much July 1975.
Kurt,

Wait.... did you find a specific serial number / date reference, or just saying it was likely made around the time I was in Switzerland? That would be totally awesome if it was really made while I was there. Then I could imagine to myself that I might even be in possession of one of the very pieces I was mesmerized over.

That would be just cool. I wonder if there's a way to find the original retailer.

Derek

IMG_4167.jpg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Derek -

Yes, that's a date taken from one of the websites where build dates and serial numbers are listed. I've not seen any links back to retailers. I suspect you would need to be inside the Atmos books to figure that out.

Kurt

Derek Smith

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2017
Ellicott City, MD
Country
Region
What are the odds! Now I'm even happier with this find, as if that's possible. Just gained special meaning!

Thanks Kurt!

Derek

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Derek, my Atmos database confirms your clock was made about September-October 1975. It should have a bellows date about 1 or 2 months earlier.

Derek Smith

NAWCC Member
Sep 13, 2017
Ellicott City, MD
Country
Region
John,

I have no desire to open it up (that sounds very unlike me!) and look at the bellows as long as it's functioning properly. But thanks for the extra confirmation. This clock now extra special meaning for me.

Derek

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
machv5
Encyclopedia Pages