Fill weight for empty weight shells for grandfather clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by fiz_pndm, Mar 20, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fiz_pndm

fiz_pndm Registered User

Dec 10, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Country Flag:
    Hi all NAWCC members.
    I need some help.
    I have 3 empty grandfather weight shells.
    What is good way to fill this empty weight shells?
    I have to fill 7.7lb weight for 2
    and 9.9lb for 1 for chime train.

Hope you all have a good idea
    Hope you all can help me
    I really appreciate it.

2. alskogen

alskogen Registered User

Jun 4, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You should able to purchase these weight fillers at suppliers. like Timesavers, Merrits or Empire clocks you can find them on the web Al

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #4 lead shot is very convenient but the 9.9s may require a solid cast weight. Casting is not that difficult but it can be and is time consuming. If you are used to metal working lead casting is easy and fun!

You may be able to simply buy what you need from the suppliers. It is often difficult to find exactly what you need though. Usually you have to get whatever will fit your weight shell's diameter and saw it off, or add bits of lead, or shot, to get the weight you need.

Good luck, Willie X

4. markd

markd Registered User

Jan 3, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome Fiz

7.7lb and 9.9lb are standard Hermle weight sizes available as cast iron inserts for 60mm x 245mm Hermle shells.

Mark

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Be prepared to pay a fair bit for shipping costs.
    But maybe a better route than trying to fill the shells with weight.

6. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    FWIW, if you have a lyre pendulum, you will need two 9.9 lb weights for T & C

7. fiz_pndm

fiz_pndm Registered User

Dec 10, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Country Flag:
    Can i fill the shell with constuction/building iron like this? 87471.jpg

8. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never tried but I doubt rebar will do the job.
    1. Not heavy enough and,
    2. I doubt rebar comes in thick enough dia.
    My first choice would be to buy proper size fillers and second, to pour them. If you have a source of scrap lead such as a tire shop, that would be least expensive.

9. Jay Fortner

Jay Fortner Registered User

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On those lighter weights chances are that your cans won't be completely full. If this turns out to be the case, stuff the unfilled portion with wadded up newspaper, a little under the weight and the rest on top. This keeps the weight from slamming into the endcaps while you're handling them. You can use PVC pipe, wooden round, foam pipe insulation etc. I would use something that's not going to add much more weight.

10. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You will need solid weight fillers. Anything else will not bring it up to specs.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's especially true on the chime side, where there's barely enough room for a solid filler. Any air spaces will cause the weight to be too light.

12. dgladstone

dgladstone Registered User

Jan 23, 2011
    Cast Iron sounds a lot safer to work with than lead. I used to work with lead as a teenager and I'm sure I lost a few IQ points in the process. ;)

13. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    dgla,

What JV said, I usually pad the ends with hard Styrofoam disk to keep the weights separated from the shells. Several lengths of the re-bar would work for the lighter weight with extra padding. My general rule is: if the correct material is available ready made then order / buy it. If you have 2 3/8" shells you are in luck.

Also, the Hermle factory weight kits are often available complete, ready to hang, for about the same as the fillers. Beware of sets with cheap anodized "brass like" finish. They will look really bad against polished brass pendulum. And, be sure to ask the shipper to send the shells and the fillers separately. This will cost a little more but shipping the fillers in the shells often results in damaged shells.

No shells, no problem, even the USPS has trouble damaging solid cast iron weight fillers. I did have one that arrived, literally 'outside the box' once!

Willie X

14. Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh yeah, I forgot about styrofoam. If you're carefull you can use the shells to cut it. Just push it through with a twisting motion, then use the end cap and through bolt to make the center hole.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    I think you misinterpreted what I said. IF you've already got the correct weight why would you want to add more with solid fillers? Seems to me all you want to do is fill in the air gap with something that holds the weight in place without adding MORE weight. Or am I missing something?

15. Albert Antonelli

Albert Antonelli Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Had the same problem about 2 months ago, if you need the weights the place that gave me great service was R & M Imports in Harveysburg, Ohio, their phone # is 800-762-5015, you may want to specify if it is a rod through, or the type that you have to get the screw in ends. Al

16. Randy Hirst

Randy Hirst Registered User

Aug 23, 2009
    Roadway Design Project Manager
    Rathdrum, idaho
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've worked on a couple that the shells were filled with flat washers. This seems to work well, but would probably make a purest shudder. No shipping cost though.

17. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    If you're working with standard weight shells for Hermle (or any other modern German clock movement) you won't get enough weight in the chime sheel to bring it up to specs, unless you use either the standard replacement fillers (solid) or lead shot. Washers or other scraps will have too many voids, which waste valuable space in the shell.

18. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Go to your local gun store and get a 20 pound bag of pellets for reloading shotgun shells. I have an Urgos movement that I bought at a garage sale. And when I found out how much it was going to cost to ship them to me I took this solution. It has been running ever since. Your choice.
    H/C

19. Randy Hirst

Randy Hirst Registered User

Aug 23, 2009
    Roadway Design Project Manager
    Rathdrum, idaho
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The washers they are filled with fit the inside diameter perfectly and the hole for the bolt is only slightly oversize. They are 1.625' dia by .1" thick with a hole .3" dia. Not much wasted space.

20. fiz_pndm

fiz_pndm Registered User

Dec 10, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Country Flag:
    I've filled with rebar but the chime train not working.
    Is not enough weight for chime train if i used rebar.

Can i filled my shell for chime train with scrap lead?

21. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's what I'd do. Or you could make a mold to pour the lead into, then transfer to the shell.

22. Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Chiefland,Fl.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's what I'd do.