• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Figuring Out Correct Weights

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Gustav Becker "grandfather" clock. Does anyone know what weights should go with this? I haven't tackled a clock with weights yet & of course they are missing. From research I did it looks like 7 or 8 lbs, strike being heavier.

I think it's a "bim bam". Movement has 2 parallel gongs & 2 hammers. I see weights on eBay not cheap, so I'd like to be pretty sure before I buy them.

thanks!

42686B99-8BB7-49BB-B580-17A52585CBCB.jpeg
6655CEFE-9EFC-4827-86AF-A9874C2C86AF.jpeg
226E38F1-02F1-458B-AE2A-6B2058118929.jpeg

A581AEDE-3A6B-4CF2-A26A-812A47ADB5C4.jpeg

2CD48F1D-0B95-4C87-B8E9-223B28DF83F6.png

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Experimentation is much better than "research".

Just hang a couple of tin cans filled with anything heavy, until you determine the correct weight.

I just wrote about how to do this on another current thread ...

The clock needs to be put in good condition before this experiment is done.

8 pounds will be a good starting point.

Willie X

Hudson

NAWCC Member
Jul 19, 2010
Spicewood
Country
Region
Gustav Becker "grandfather" clock. Does anyone know what weights should go with this? I haven't tackled a clock with weights yet & of course they are missing. From research I did it looks like 7 or 8 lbs, strike being heavier.

I think it's a "bim bam". Movement has 2 parallel gongs & 2 hammers. I see weights on eBay not cheap, so I'd like to be pretty sure before I buy them.

thanks!
My Gustav Becker Grandfather, P112 Bim Bam movement, serial # 2494527 has the following weights taken with a digital hanging type scale:

Time 7.36 lbs.
Strike 8.71 lbs

I don't know if they are the original weights or not. They look appropriate for the clock and it has now been running well for many years, after a full service on the movement.

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Thanks. I haven’t examined it super closely yet. I just realized there no holes in the clock face - so I’m wondering how you wind the thing?

060A7D24-D5D2-486C-AB29-AD82707052A8.jpeg

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Thanks. I was able to figure it out. When I got it, it was filthy. I put the pendulum on & suspension spring separated. However, I was lucky enough the original owner found the intact beveled glass for the dial.

Maybe someone knows, each side of the clock on the left and right side of the movement there are rectangular cutouts in the wood case parallel to the movement. Wish I had a pic…

Something was there and is gone. I’m guessing glass panels or maybe a door - but it shows-no signs of a latch on either side.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Usually, these were ports for sound and servicing. I have made some of these with very detailed scrolling. You can make simple designs by making a frame that fits loosely in the opening, cover it in a beautiful radio fabric, and press it into the opening. Some are hardwood squares that sit like a cabinet door with a wooden locking tab on the back. They just lock in place. It should some way be closed to keep out dust and spiders.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Most side doors are simple wooden blocks that fit loosely in the hole. They have a small mitered moulding around the outside with a protruding lip to keep the piece from falling through the hole. Inside there is a simple cross stick, with a loose fitting screw at the center. Push in the door, reach inside and turn the cross stick, beautifully simple. Willie X

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Good news for me. Owner found original Becker weights & glass. I got the glass & will get weights tomorrow

Reactions: Dave T

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
When you get them, post their weights here :)

Reactions: Dave T

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
2D68C9A5-4904-47DA-9EB9-FF842D460199.jpeg

One weight is missing a hook; so couldn’t weigh both - but they look & feel identical or close to it me. Weights feel a lot heavier, but scale doesn’t lie.

The missing chunk of wood off the face - I dunno. I do stained glass, I thought about making a decorative piece of glass for there - which is probably heresy here. I am good at refinishing / finishing wood - but have no experience making wood stuff with routers & such. I don’t think I have the skill to make something wood for there that doesn’t look bad or an an obvious repair, but glass I can do well.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Yeah, stained glass might make a few here lay an egg or two. You might want to try a local cabinet guy. He might get real excited to work on it. If you are good at the refinishing part, he should be able to get you to that point.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You probably already checked in the bottom of the case? If not the missing piece of trim, maybe you'll find tight roll of Benjamins. :) Willie X

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Yes, I cleaned out the bottom. No such luck about the money :(. This thing had so much dust in it I vacuumed the inside.

The suspension spring is separated.I tried to fix it, like the spring part pulled out of the brass part. No good. It’s about 1/2” x 1” 0.05mm (thickness of spring).

I’m wondering how critical that spring thickness is. Seems like there is more available with a thicker spring (0.10) & I don’t even know if suspension is original. I read at one point for suspensions springs close enough is usually good enough

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country

An update. Was able to get a suspension spring & the missing hook for the weight. The spring I believe is not exactly correct, but very close. The hook also needed modification - too long/wrong threads. Did a quick movement cleaning in solvent & oiling to see if the movement would run or if it had any major issues. Pinions all seem fairly tight & round.

The thing is, when I got this thing the pendulum & suspension was apart. The suspension spring has 3 pin holes on the back of the hangar it can mount from. Also, the pendulum leaded can mount facing backward / or forwards - pendulum will mount either way. Couldn't find any pics online of this movement detailed enough - so I experimented & eventually found what I think is the best way.

8C627819-2322-405A-BB96-BFEE9C5C06D2.jpeg

Also, found an antique furniture restoration shop who says they can make this missing piece of wood for $100. How seamless the repair will be I have no idea. I’ve never done this type of work with wood & for $100 it’s worth it to me to just let them handle it. They look quality from their website at least.

3A3FADDA-7BFA-4B03-A6AF-C87EB2B6B0BF.jpeg

3832CD39-DBDE-49A8-ACAC-35A138D0A1CB.jpeg

Before & after above on polishing the dial. Solid brass - not plated. Next I’ll Polish the weights/pendulum & work on replacing some missing / stripped screws in cabinet doors. If there is a secret/trick to polishing chains - I’m all ears. I don’t have a tumbler. I read the trick about using a washer / dryer here for “rusty chains” - but I think these are solid brass;

Also was able to cut glass for the side doors & glue them back together tight (original glue was dissolved). I used wood glue, but ordered some premixed Titebond hide glue.

Ordered some escutcheon / key cover protectors from eBay. They were missing & I just ordered what I thought went with the style of the clock as I can’t find a photo of this clock anywhere online.

Clock should be really cool when done. I think I have all the major headaches sorted. I haven’t decided if I’m going to pull the movement apart yet for a proper cleaning.

My fear is something will get messed up & if it works - it works. I’d rather get a 2nd similar /identical movement if I’m going to take it apart- because you never know if you may need parts.

Reactions: Thomas Sanguigni

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
25FBC63B-3366-4198-8888-B6997E594704.jpeg

Maybe someone knows here… What exactly is the purpose of this little piece in red box? Does it go above or below crutch foot? I have it installed now above crutch foot (it slides up and down pendulum leader), as I think it may be just to prevent leader from sliding out of crutch & getting lost if you take it off suspension spring? But I’m not exactly sure. When I got it it was directly over crutch foot - so you had to choose to move it up or down a hair. Thanks.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The collar goes just below the crutch eye/fork. It purpose is to prevent upward movement of the pendulum leader and thus prevent damage/breakage of the suspension spring. Willie X

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
The collar goes just below the crutch eye/fork. It purpose is to prevent upward movement of the pendulum leader and thus prevent damage/breakage of the suspension spring. Willie X
Gotcha. I put it above. I thought it was to prevent the leader from slipping out. I’ll fix it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eugenbt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-