FFR Carillon Romanet case

Rodrigo A

Jul 24, 2020
Country
Hello All,
I thought the case of this clock was unique and I took a couple of photos to share (not my clock). These are the only photos I have. I am a newbie and I have not seen anything like it before, I am curious about the case; I was able to learn something about FFR here and elsewhere on the web.
Thanks

case.jpg dial.jpg

Reactions: Salsagev

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The images on the case are reminiscent of those in paintings by Breughel. How is the finish done, is it painted?

JTD

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
FFR = Sons of Fils Romanet, located in Morbier, France. A prominent factory renowned for its Comtoise clocks and chiming box regulators.
Their clocks normally appear in France, Germany, Vietnam, and Brazil but are not so well known in North America.
Your clock looks like a model from the 1940s-1950s going by the dial and case proportioning. Later models tend to look squattier.
This is one of the more ornate box regulator cases. I've never seen one quite like this before so they must be rare. Most FFR cases from the postwar years were plainer in appearance. Good quality in all aspects and the chimes tend to sound nice.

The clock shown is a 4 chime model unique to FFR.
The chimes played varied with production years. It will play Westminster and Ave Maria de Lourdes along with two other tunes:
On the Blue Waves and Old Steeple, or L'Angelus de la Mer and La Paimpolaise.

There are no formal publications about FFR but there is this blog giving some insight towards other clocks from the same period.
Shoutout to Salsagev for sending me the link:

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I have yet to buy the 1958 FFR catalog which should show the 4 airs series. Very nice clock and rare find! May I ask if you are located in America? I am stunned that you found one of these clocks which in America is rare as finding gold in your back yard.

puimake

Apr 14, 2021
Mae-Hong-Son Thailand
Country
Region
Yeah!!! My 4 AIR had it's friend too
This is my 4AIRS with Thai style case
It play Westm , Ave , Pol , and De la mer
This model is very rare in Thailand
Your picture is Very beautiful

Kob Koon Krub
Send From Thailand

20210414_193142.jpg

puimake

Apr 14, 2021
Mae-Hong-Son Thailand
Country
Region
I have yet to buy the 1958 FFR catalog which should show the 4 airs series. Very nice clock and rare find! May I ask if you are located in America? I am stunned that you found one of these clocks which in America is rare as finding gold in your back yard.
Try this man

Last edited:

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I hope it could help you
Thank you for the link! However, the forum does not allow any live auctions so I would have to kindly ask to remove. Thanks though! I will check it out! I am more likely wanting to find local sales because it can be destroyed in shipping or I may get ripped off.

puimake

Apr 14, 2021
Mae-Hong-Son Thailand
Country
Region
Thank you for the link! However, the forum does not allow any live auctions so I would have to kindly ask to remove. Thanks though! I will check it out! I am more likely wanting to find local sales because it can be destroyed in shipping or I may get ripped off.
Do you copy link or not? If you copied I will remove ok?

Rodrigo A

Jul 24, 2020
Country
The images on the case are reminiscent of those in paintings by Breughel. How is the finish done, is it painted?

JTD
I do not believe it is painted, or at least not completely (I confess to not know anything about the topic though). It seems the images were individually cut and applied to the case, and some sort of varnish on top of that. Please see the images below, I assume those sharp corners met a blade at some point. But that appears to be really well done, I like the images at the bottom of the case 'supporting' the glass, for example. I would say the case was first painted in black as a background; there are also 'golden' brush strokes throughout the case at 'empty spots' that match the edges of the two glass pieces and the edges of the case. Panels on the sides are similar.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I live in the SF Bay Area; from what I am learning not necessarily the place one would find unusual clocks.

FFR = Sons of Fils Romanet, located in Morbier, France. A prominent factory renowned for its Comtoise clocks and chiming box regulators.
Their clocks normally appear in France, Germany, Vietnam, and Brazil but are not so well known in North America.
Your clock looks like a model from the 1940s-1950s going by the dial and case proportioning. Later models tend to look squattier.
This is one of the more ornate box regulator cases. I've never seen one quite like this before so they must be rare. Most FFR cases from the postwar years were plainer in appearance. Good quality in all aspects and the chimes tend to sound nice.

The clock shown is a 4 chime model unique to FFR.
The chimes played varied with production years. It will play Westminster and Ave Maria de Lourdes along with two other tunes:
On the Blue Waves and Old Steeple, or L'Angelus de la Mer and La Paimpolaise.

There are no formal publications about FFR but there is this blog giving some insight towards other clocks from the same period.
Shoutout to Salsagev for sending me the link:

Thanks. Interesting, I grew up in Brazil and never saw one of these, although at the time clocks were not a priority :) I lived in France for work and never saw one there either, but I did some searches in French and managed to come across that website and a couple of other ones, but nothing significant.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I live in the SF Bay Area; from what I am learning not necessarily the place one would find unusual clocks.
That makes mighty sense. California is where a lot of foreign clocks are! Possibly due to immigration settlement.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Your clock is definitely French style. I am thinking this clock was either a prize for something or a limited edition style. It is obviously very fancy and a step up from the basic 4 airs. It says “de luxe” which is also an indicator and the printed glass alone is too.
I hope you consider keeping the clock for a long time if not forever. You truly have found a gem. I am very jealous myself!
Please enjoy the clock!
P.S
Let this also be a lesson of gems you can find everywhere.

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I do not believe it is painted, or at least not completely (I confess to not know anything about the topic though). It seems the images were individually cut and applied to the case, and some sort of varnish on top of that.
The art of decorating objects with paper cut-outs is called découpage. I did wonder if that was how you clock was decorated, which is why I asked. As you say, it has been very nicely done.

JTD

Reactions: jmclaugh

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Your clock is definitely French style. I am thinking this clock was either a prize for something or a limited edition style.
What do you mean by 'definitely French style'?

I see no reason whatever to suppose it was a prize for anything. Découpage is a craft which was a very popular hobby in years gone by and is still practiced by some people today.

JTD

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
What do you mean by 'definitely French style'?
This is not South American style. Definitely not American and not German. It is French style designs.

This does not appear to be a standard catalog item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny_foskey
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre