• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Ferrari electric clock

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
I have a very nice Bakelite cased electric clock, now to start it, is just quickly turning the starter knob, problem is sometimes it will start 2/3 time Other as many as 50 goes before it will start the sweep hand going, is there a fault that I can easily correct?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Electric spin-to-start alternating current clocks depend upon coincidence of the rotor poles magnetic attraction to the energized field pole pieces very exactly.

The examples that synchronize reliably and without multiple attempts spin easily ;and with lots of inertia. The opposite are usually found to be well worn and feel sluggish to the attempt to spin the rotor with the start knob or lever.

The process of synchronization is somewhat like trying to match the speed of a cyclist with a delivery van in motion. The cyclist must match his speed with that of the van which is traveling at a constant rate of speed. A miss-match in pedaling fails.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Thank you for that, I do get a very good turn which will travel the hand all the way around. But an old clock, never stops unless unplugged, keeps good time also, just a shame it's difficult to start at times,

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
That's what he is saying, sometimes you can spin it too hard and the clock won't start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nrizzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent