American Ferguson type

John P.

Jul 29, 2021
Rochester, New York. 14609. USA
Country
This image is of a railroad grade, 19j. Crescent Street byWaltham manufactured in 1904. As you can see, the dial is basically a Ferguson with the addition of marginal minutes and the inner hour markers in black in lieu of red. The dial is signitured, “Waltham.” The dial is true double sunk and enamel on copper.

The dial is so complex to read one can easily understand Webb Ball’s dislike of the Ferguson design. No. 133.jpg
No. 133.jpg No. 133.jpg No. 133.jpg

I am wondering if this dial is one actually offered by Waltham or if it’s a Ferguson-type counterfeit?

John P.

Jul 29, 2021
Rochester, New York. 14609. USA
Country
This image is of a railroad grade, 19j. Crescent Street byWaltham manufactured in 1904. As you can see, the dial is basically a Ferguson with the addition of marginal minutes and the inner hour markers in black in lieu of red. The dial is signitured, “Waltham.” The dial is true double sunk and enamel on copper.

The dial is so complex to read one can easily understand Webb Ball’s dislike of the Ferguson design. View attachment 721293 View attachment 721293 View attachment 721293 View attachment 721293

I am wondering if this dial is one actually offered by Waltham or if it’s a Ferguson-type counterfeit?
PS; I don’t recall seeing a Waltham signiture followed by a period.
Sorry for the multiple images

Nathan Moore

NAWCC Business
Dec 29, 2011
Country

The dial is so complex to read one can easily understand Webb Ball’s dislike of the Ferguson design. View attachment 721293
View attachment 721293 View attachment 721293 View attachment 721293

However, this is not a Ferguson dial. Instead, this is a "marginal minutes" or "Montgomery" dial with the 13-24 hour figures, popular in the Canadian market.

This is a Ferguson dial:

DSC07671-2.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I like it

Rather than being a Standard Ferguson Dial it looks
like a Canadian marginal minute dial.

EDIT I see someone already posted at the same time

Rob

Reactions: DeweyC

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
I like it

Rather than being a Standard Ferguson Dial it looks
like a Canadian marginal minute dial.

EDIT I see someone already posted at the same time

Rob
Speaking of which. There had been listings for reproduction Fergies. Perhaps we can inform readers how to tell repro Fergies from genuine without removing the dials. I think these are showing up on watches now.

Reactions: musicguy

Nathan Moore

NAWCC Business
Dec 29, 2011
Country
Speaking of which. There had been listings for reproduction Fergies. Perhaps we can inform readers how to tell repro Fergies from genuine without removing the dials. I think these are showing up on watches now.
A blue marker at the :45 position is a clear indication it is a reproduction (this should not be viewed as a fool-proof indicator since other reproduction dials exist without this marker). This marker is also present on other Ehrhardt reproduction dials.

Ferguson-Replica-Dial-Blue-Marker-1.jpg

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
This one doesn't have the blue marker at the 45 position, but regardless, I'm pretty sure I don't need to examine the back to know it's a reproduction ;-)

DSCN9508.JPG

Reactions: Dadistic

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Am I to assume Waltham did not manufacture and market this dial? I wonder if there’s a listing of dials Ehrhardt made? There is no blue marker at the :45.
If you are referring to your dial, I am almost certain that it was made by (or at least ordered by) Waltham. I have a nearly identical on on my 18-size Vanguard. As for the dot after the WALTHAM name, I have seen this on many unquestionably original Waltham dials.

92_Vanguard_f.jpg

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
A blue marker at the :45 position is a clear indication it is a reproduction (this should not be viewed as a fool-proof indicator since other reproduction dials exist without this marker). This marker is also present on other Ehrhardt reproduction dials.

View attachment 721320

Nathan,

Thanks for the link. I never saw your blog. Again thanks for collating and SHARING the information you have otained.

Back to Fergies. From what I have seen (in pics only), they are not true double sunk dials but seem to be pressed ala Waltham? Were some unsunk as in the repro you showed?

Reactions: musicguy

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Dewey,
Sorry, I don't understand your question? The Waltham dial in post 1 & 10 is a Double Sunk Dial.

The Ferguson in post 3 has a Faux sunk outline.

thesnark17

NAWCC Member
Jul 11, 2020
Country
Region
Pressed-center dials (aka faux sunk dials) were cheaper to manufacture and less prone to cracking because they were made in one piece. Makes sense that an aftermarket dial manufacturer would go with it.

Unsunk dials would be even cheaper to manufacture, but I've never seen one that I could verify to be original.

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
Dewey,
Sorry, I don't understand your question? The Waltham dial in post 1 & 10 is a Double Sunk Dial.

The Ferguson in post 3 has a Faux sunk outline.
Jim,

When I look at the photos that show the patent dates for these dials, there are no separate soldered seconds and center bits. This is why I wonder if they are pressed ala Waltham pressed center dials. And Nathan (I think) shows an Illinois Fergie with a plain dial (no sinkings).

thesnark17

NAWCC Member
Jul 11, 2020
Country
Region
Nathan is showing a reproduction dial with no sinkings. The original dials are pressed center dials, at least the ones I've seen. That's what I was trying to say in my previous post.

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Here is an older thread on these, maybe of assistance

Not ALL repro dials have the blue marker, only Roy's....
i have somewhere in safe a reproduction that is not an Ehrhardt... no blue marker but certainly a repro, it does not have the patent info on the back.
I believe early dials were pieced construction, and the swiss were faux sink dials.

remember also the hands were an important part of the 'system' and frequently missing... at one time i believe Joe Demesy (spell) had a hoard of them and they were dispersed years ago....

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
Country
Here is an older thread on these, maybe of assistance

Not ALL repro dials have the blue marker, only Roy's....
i have somewhere in safe a reproduction that is not an Ehrhardt... no blue marker but certainly a repro, it does not have the patent info on the back.
I believe early dials were pieced construction, and the swiss were faux sink dials.

remember also the hands were an important part of the 'system' and frequently missing... at one time i believe Joe Demesy (spell) had a hoard of them and they were dispersed years ago....
Terry,

I agree. I would want to find hands before I bought a Ferguson Dial. I wonder how many sets were put on repros.

Thanks to all. I really did not know much about these and I am certain future readers will find this helpful.

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Regarding reproduction Freguson dials, the most common that I see are those that were marketed by La Rose (1970s and 80s, as I recall). They are painted metal and have an unpainted brass back. It can be difficult to identify them from just an online picture of the front but things to look for are excellent condition with no hairlines (being painted metal they don't crack) and faint concentric circles in the center.

Regarding correct hands, I have about 100 or so of them for various makes, but they are all (I think) 12 size. They came from an antique dealer in West Monroe, La. (and so were probably acquired locally by the dealer).

Reactions: viclip and Bila

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-