Female spring bars

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Walter W Kerrick, Feb 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Walter W Kerrick

Walter W Kerrick Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi everybody. I recently recieved a Hamilton Piping Rock and while I'm very excited about this watch I can't seem to find any new spring bars for it. Does anyone here have a good source for these old female spring bars? Here I'd a gratuitous photo of the watch in question.

20200205_112242.jpg

Paul Raposo and viclip like this.
  2. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Walter W Kerrick

NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I bought some from Esslinger and the diameter of the end cups are no where near large enough. To fit on the studs they need to be somewhere between 1.5 and 2mm. The Esslinger ones, and others I have looked at so far, have been under 1mm.
    I have not looked at Jules Borel or Startime yet, I will check out both of their offerings.

4. EscapeWheel

EscapeWheel Registered User

Mar 19, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Walter W Kerrick

NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I have those saved on my watchlist but they are $30 for a pair. I actually found a pair on Jules Borel that say they have 1.7mm openings, if these ones don't work I'll give the ebay ones a try.

6. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey, Walter, it didn't process that the studs on an old-old case like that are so big. I ran into that several years ago and obviously spaced it. Sorry about that. I got a pair from a friend after a long and fruitless search. Please let us know if you find a source for the danged things. Good luck!

Glen

7. Samie Smith

Samie Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    watchmaker
    Monticello ky.
    Country Flag:
    Walter I may have what you need I will have to look and see if I can find them if they will work I can send you a pair.

8. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I too have more than I will ever use and would be happy to provide some if needed.-Cort

9. Samie Smith

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    watchmaker
    Monticello ky.
    Country Flag:
    Walter what length do you need I found the springs

10. Walter W Kerrick

NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys. Using Glen's advice I went to Jules Borel and found a pair I think will work. If this pair is also a wash I will let y'all know.

11. Walter W Kerrick

NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Samie, I need 16mm. The ones I received from Jules Borel are also useless.

12. Samie Smith

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    watchmaker
    Monticello ky.
    Country Flag:
    Walter I have that length the outside of the pin where it goes on the lug measures 1.92 mm the inside hole looks to be about 1.50.mm. where it fits over the lug I will take a look and see if I have any with a larger hole.. I found a few with a 1.90mm hole but they are too long..at 19mm

These are thick on the hole end and could be drilled out to fit you lugs if you think these will work I can send you a set.
    Samie

13. Walter W Kerrick

NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Samie, the ones on my watch need to be 1.27mm do those should work. I may have found some so let me run this lead down first. Thanks for the help.

14. Steve Weikal

Steve Weikal New Member

Mar 13, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone, really appreciate this discussion about the elusive vintage female spring bar, with end holes large enough to accommodate the pins of older watches. In cleaning up my grandfather’s Hamilton I’ve discovered that the spring bars are not the same – the one shown here works perfectly (and is a nifty piece of engineering); the other is a multi-piece mess that I fear might come loose, causing the watch to drop off my wrist without me knowing it.

As Walter mentioned above, the end cups on the modern replacement spring bars from Esslinger, etc. are generally too small to accommodate the pins. If any of you can direct me to a source for an earlier vintage, 19mm spring bar that may have larger end cups, I would certainly appreciate it.

Steve

IMG_3758.JPG

15. EscapeWheel

EscapeWheel Registered User

Mar 19, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  16. Steve Weikal

Steve Weikal New Member

Mar 13, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I saw these at Cousins. I was hoping to get one or two locally vs. sourcing and shipping from overseas. But this may be the only option. I'd have to confirm that the 1.8 mm measurement is the inner diam. of the cup ends, which might work. Appreciate the suggestion. /sw

17. gatorcpa

gatorcpa Registered User

May 7, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I also have a Piping Rock and bought this assortment of female springbars from a seller in the Netherlands:

s-l1600.jpg

It was not expensive and the 16mm ones fit perfectly. I'm not crazy about the "cup" ended springbars. If they aren't the originals, they tend to slide off at the wrong time. These actually slide over the lugs.

When I later bought a Universal Geneve Uni-Compax with male lugs, having extras came in very handy.

If you do a search on eBay for "female springbars", this assortment should show up.

Hope it all works out.
    gatorcpa

viclip likes this.
  18. Steve Weikal

Steve Weikal New Member

Mar 13, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Appreciate the suggestion. I looked at a dissembled Piping Rock online and the male pins appear to be a hair shorter than the Boulton. I found someone online who had vintage 19mm female bars and fortunately, the cups are deep enough to securely accommodate the pins. That said, there's some play in the length so I may have to move up to 20mm bars just to be safe. Steve