Female cord connector for a New Walnut Telechron 700 Electroalarm

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by rlwindle, May 4, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any ideas on how to wire the female plug part of a Telechron 700 Electroalarm. I have the plug, just don't have the cord. I bought a Walnut ElectroAlarm off a vendor in Beautiful Rhine Germany, it is literally a new clock all the ornamentation is on it, no chips or cracks in the case. The female plug is currently plugged into the back of the clock. It unplugs and unscrews. It looks like the power cord is split into two cords and separated in the plug. Is that right?

Thanks

Russ

Attached Files:

2. Count Clockula

Count Clockula Registered User

Mar 6, 2012
    Other. But I'm often up late at night working on a
    Country Flag:
    There should be two metal (brass) spring contacts inside the plug with small holes in the tail end, which you would solder your wire to. 18/2 lamp wire is perfect. Open the plug, remove those spring contacts, split your lamp wire just enough so that the split doesn't show outside the plug, strip the ends of the wire (about 1/4" - there's not much room in there), insert into those small holes in the spring contacts, solder them, and put back together. This is assuming those contacts are still inside the plug.

3. Cheezhead

Cheezhead Registered User

Dec 30, 2010
    Male
    Retired Mech Eng Tech
    Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the clock rated 220 volts 50 HZ (German power supply) or 110, 115 or 120 volts 60 HZ? If the latter, it was not usable in Germany and I have to wonder what it was doing there.

4. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Brass Telechron tag on the back says it is rated for 60 cycles 100/125 Volts (my first question to the Vendor was 120/220?). The cord was removed to keep people from plugging it in, like the do here. The era the clock was created in coincided with the big expatriate movement when a lot of Americans moved to Europe in the 20s and 30s after World War I,because it was cheaper to live there than here is my guess on how it may have got there, I don't really know, but it is back in the USA now, in mint condtion, beautiful clock.

5. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No metal brass spring contacts, just plastic. I have the Ivory model of this same clock, so I could verify that it runs (even the MAZDA bulb), I just didn't want to open that plug up without consulting someone about it. Usually I am surprised with things popping out, which more than likely would have happened had I opened the plug for the Ivory one. I will just switch the plug between the two or leave it alone until I can locate another intact cord.

Thanks
    Russ

6. Count Clockula

Count Clockula Registered User

Mar 6, 2012
    Other. But I'm often up late at night working on a
    Country Flag:
    Nah. Nothing pops out of those plugs that can't easily be put back in. They're pretty straight forward. It would be worth every penny to order and install some new cloth covered cord when you find a complete plug.
    Beautiful clock by the way!

7. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I went to eBay found a clock with a female plug for parts and bought it (it was a Buy it Now). The ACE hardware down the street still sells the cloth covered cord in brown, black, and the just started carrying the gold, I am going to get the brown to go with the clock.
    Thanks for the clock comment I love it, you can tell the difference in age between my Ivory one, and this one, hard to believe they are the same age. Now I only need the Jade one but then again don't we all.

Russ

8. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Following your instructions I was able to re-wire the plug from the clock on eBay. There were no holes to soider just tiny screws that hold the wires to the connnectors, but I got it done and she runs fine.

Thanks
    Russ