Feeling a tad lost ...

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Snapper, Apr 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    As a retired old lad taking in a few clocks for repair as and when I fancy, I am now a little at a loose end. As indicated in an earlier post, my last repair went back to its owner just before the UK Covid 19 lock down and the only timepiece now on hand is waiting for a third party to complete a re-jewelling of a platform escapement. Nothing else to occupy my clock reapiring urges. To make matters worse, I have just taken delivery of a shiny new Sherline lathe with a view to a bout of re-pivoting/polishing. It hasn't been idle as it has been used for a couple of non-clock jobs, but that to me is like using a limousine for transporting cattle.

I wonder if life will ever return to a normality. Certainly I reckon folk will be distancing themselves from others for many a year to come. Pubs and restaurants will be the last businesses to re-open so I am led to believe. Restaurants bother me not as we have none of note out here in the darkest depths of rural Lincolnshire, but hey, my local pub needs me and I have a strong sense of duty.

I have a good few diy jobs to do but as the UK government have seen fit to proscribe visits to hardware shops for basics such as paint, my brushes will languish in the garage for a while yet.

Hey ho, we live in tough and strange times.

Ethan Lipsig and Kevin W. like this.
  2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank goodness for the US Postal Service and Amazon to keep bringing me old watches and jig saw puzzles. The next jig saw puzzle was ordered on 4/09, shipped 04/15 and may not arrive until June!!!. Thankfully, a shelf fell down and a couple of clocks get damaged and that gave me some repairing to do on the cases, suspension springs. Being I can't work, it at least gave me something to do for a week. My local bar needs me also, just can't go in, the liquor store loves me as long as I wear a mask and the inside of the grocery store is disheartening as the "hamster shoppers" hoard everything they can get their hands on. I can get paper towels easier at Home Depot and the paint store than the grocery.

3. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like a good time to build tools.

4. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Funny you should suggest that! I am currently working on a kind of Jacot tool.