• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Feathers (of the non-metallic kind)

Sooth

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2005
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
www.angelfire.com
Country
Region
I came across a print for sale yesterday (eBay) and it was clock related. I really liked it, and the price was right, so I bought it.

The print is by an artist by the name of Charles Spencelayh, who also made many other paintings that feature clocks in them.

I do have one question, however. What is he doing with the feather and the glass vial? There is at least one other print showing another clockmaker who also has a vial with a feather on a table.

ClockmakerPrintstitched.gif

The other print with the same vial/feather can be seen here:
http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/b/3/20/192/20192177_Charles_Spencelayh__Puzzled_.jpg

Hayson

Mar 2, 2008
Country
Region
Can't say for sure (and I don't know if any of us here are old enough for that), but I've got a horrible feeling he's oiling the bloody thing. :eek::eek:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Looks like the same guy, 20 years apart. Maybe he is oiling his beard:eek: Maybe the beginning of "grecian Formula".

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Donor
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Can't say for sure (and I don't know if any of us here are old enough for that), but I've got a horrible feeling he's oiling the bloody thing. :eek::eek:
That's correct he is oiling the clock. Heard somewhere the was the oiler of choice in France. I think they used a goose feather. :?| :bang:

T. J. Kloss :cool:

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
You guys are completly wrong!

The oil brush is the one with the red handle. He is putting the dirt from the clock in that jar as he cleans.:eek:

Hayson

Mar 2, 2008
Country
Region
Looks like the same guy, 20 years apart. Maybe he is oiling his beard:eek: Maybe the beginning of "grecian Formula".
As long as he didn't use his beard to oil the clock! Come to think... he might as well have.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Agreed! I like both prints. Now I would not have been bidding on them but certainly appreciate the artists' rendering. Very nice, SOO!

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
Just as the tip of a feather would be shaped to make a writing pen, I'm sure it could be shaped into a fine point for oiling. The hollow in the feather stem would hold some oil, which would be released when touched to the pivot--just as with ink.

By the way, I need a dial just like the one in the illustration for my whizzing-work clock.

Hayson

Mar 2, 2008
Country
Region
Er..... I think he's using it as a paint brush not a precision instument Jeremy. Just judging by what one can see in the print, but also by the "folk wisdom" of ordinary folk who talk about their old people being told how they were advised to run an oily feather through the movement of their clocks to keep them sweet.

Perhaps you could track down the heirs of the fella in the print and see if they'll sell you the clock :)

Sooth

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2005
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
www.angelfire.com
Country
Region
Scottie, the print is something like 17.5 x 13.5 inches. It's a decent size, and I believe it's the same size as the original, since many of his other paintings were about this size.

I honestly can't remember how I found it. I may have just been browsing "clocks" and ran across it.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Not bad Sooth, a neat find, even if not a accurate depiction of clock repair, still cool.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mirela
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-