Favourite watch timing machine?

wackyvorlon

Aug 16, 2009
Country
Region
What is everyone's favourite watch timing machine? I've heard of the microset from the days when I played with clocks, but I'm not familiar with anything else out there.

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
I wish someone would respond to this! I'd love to hear some opinions.
I just ordered a Microset. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

terofpa

Dec 20, 2006
Lavelle, Pa
Country
Region
I bought a Microset 2 on Ebay several weeks ago and I like it. Easy to use and works on both clocks and watches. I have a B100 that I'm looking to sell soon.

terry

MikeBarnett

Nov 26, 2008
Near Chapel Hill NC
www.GruenWristwatches.com
Country
Region
I didn't respond because I thought you were looking just for info on timing machines other than the Microset :)

And, I have a Microset. Since Microset's don't seem to be offlimits now, I'll post that I've had mine for about 9 months. I too bought it on ebay. I then I had it upgraded and also bought the more sensative watch sensor since balance amplitude was a very important measurement to me.

Honestly speaking, I don't see how I was able to do good work previously :eek:

I use it for every watch I restore. Satisfied is an understatement. Unable to live without it is more like it. From posts here and many other forums, the Microset looks to be the winner with hobbiests, beginners and those of us that can't afford a $2,500 machine. I have yet to read a negative review of the Microset.

le arsi

Jul 7, 2008
Philippines
Country
Me too has a Microset 3 and been using it since 2004. This lead me to succesfully make my own version of tower clocks and becoming my main business now.

conradin

Oct 18, 2007
Oakland, CA
www.cygoth.com
Country
Region
I was trained on the 100, and I am selling a Tickoprint now. I am currently using a 200.

While on the subject, can anyone explain to me what is the advantage and disadvantage of using microset compare with a solid state?

le arsi

Jul 7, 2008
Philippines
Country
They were both solid state. The difference is that microset is fully digital and your 200 is analog. The accuracy of digital is very far from analog. Analog means using a drum motor and a printer to show the reading while digital is showing... digital results.:)

Jtrenalone

Mar 5, 2008
Chico, CA
www.timepieceshoppe.com
I am another satisfied Microset user. I sometimes wish that I had worked with a Vibrograph for comparison (just for fun), so I do not have experience with any other machines.

But the Microset is very convenient, does every thing I want it to, and interfaces with my mini laptop (really a "netbook") nicely.

You have to fiddle with the settings for some watches in order to get it to read accurately (there are blanking settings). But that becomes second nature once you use the machine for some time,
Joel

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I have and like an MTG 3000. This is the Chinese knock-off of one of the Swiss units (its not the Witschi Expert but it has similar functions, I think it is a Portescap). It was cheap and although it occasionally requries resetting works very well on watches in decent shape.

It is tough to get beat information when a watch is far off but it gives rate, beat and amplitude and is affordable.

What I especially like about it compared to a microset is that it does not need a companion computer. Its a small unit and fits comfortably on my assembly bench, complete and ready to go. Its position adjustable pick up is very solid and reliable.

I have modified mine slightly. When I saw the new Witschi has an oscilloscope display I was able to attach leads to two test points in the MTG 3000 board and run them to a coax BNC connector so I can look at the microphone output in an oscilloscope. Its a bit clunky but I bought a used scope and the connection hardware for well under $100. With this rig and the Wiitschi manual I can see why a watch is making a poor trace.

The big thing with me and the MTG 3000 is that it has made me a lot more attentive to beat.

These MTG machines are new and cost less than the used mechanical jobs, give more information and take up less space.

My main criticism is that its programmed mode is hard to use and not very credible. It requries that you reposition the watch manually and some of the positions are tricky to achieve and its maximum timing interval is too short. A general lesser criticism is that i won;t get out of teh woods. If a watch is really out of adjsutment the MTG will not give much information. I only works with watches in fairly good order. My old Viborgraph would get rates even when the watch was out by over an hour a day.

If you have the space I think a microset is a better option, better support and service and more flexibility, but so far I have needed no support or service.

The really big thing is the MTG machines are inexpensive, especially when you buy though independent dealers via ebay, with the usual caveats. There good reason why the tool and material houses offer these.

I don't think I would buy a used one unless I saw it working but mine has been relaible and I have carried it around and not had problems. Its case is cheaply made and if you do open it you have to diddle to get the screws back in their holes. If you don't take it apart and just use it, it's a great buy and real help to getting a watch set up.

I still have an M80 which is handy. The M80 does Accutrons, which I don't do and also all quartz movements, as well as mechanicals

Last edited:

s. smith

Oct 13, 2006
A Question ,,who sales the mocroset and mtg machines i might take a look don,t know if i would be smart enough too use them but don,t hurt too look..:)

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Here is a link to MTG machines

http://www.timegrapher.com/. This site shows the models, sample screen shots, accessories and specifications.

Most watch and clock supply houses sell them and they also show up on ebay by sellers from China and Hing Kong, which I how I bought mine.

Its cheaper to buy via ebay but if you have a problem you might wish you had bought from a US dealer.

bchaps

Dec 16, 2001
Mountain Top, PA
www.clockguru.com
Country
Region
I started with a Microset III and initially used it exclusively with clocks. As my interests began to include watches, the Microset was right there with me. Accessory items are readily available... even if you happen to wind a cable too tightly and break the connection. And expert help is available from Bryan whenever you're having difficulty.

I have wired my shop for the Microset using shielded cable. Since it apparently had not been tried before to Bryan's knowledge, he wasn't sure how it would work. But after six or more years of use, I can tell you the signal travels very well over 25 feet of cable back to the desk mounted timing machine and computer. Those cables are running beside fluorescent lighting in the ceiling and 110 v house wiring in the walls with no apparent signal interference.

I would like to see a book demonstrating output patterns for specific watch faults. I don't know if the old Watchmaster output data will apply to the Microset.

le arsi

Jul 7, 2008
Philippines
Country
I started with a Microset III and initially used it exclusively with clocks. As my interests began to include watches, the Microset was right there with me. Accessory items are readily available... even if you happen to wind a cable too tightly and break the connection. And expert help is available from Bryan whenever you're having difficulty.

I have wired my shop for the Microset using shielded cable. Since it apparently had not been tried before to Bryan's knowledge, he wasn't sure how it would work. But after six or more years of use, I can tell you the signal travels very well over 25 feet of cable back to the desk mounted timing machine and computer. Those cables are running beside fluorescent lighting in the ceiling and 110 v house wiring in the walls with no apparent signal interference.

I would like to see a book demonstrating output patterns for specific watch faults. I don't know if the old Watchmaster output data will apply to the Microset.
Sorry, I dont believe that there is no interference in using the Microset. I have discovered that everytime my wife is using her washing machine it introduces stray signals causing the Microset to register and include it to the counting and resulting to an erratic results. But dont worry, I have corrected the problem- I just wait for my wife to finish her washing or advise her not to turn on the wash machine yet until I finish timing.

MikeBarnett

Nov 26, 2008
Near Chapel Hill NC
www.GruenWristwatches.com
Country
Region

Hi Bill
Like you, I longed for such a book soon after getting a machine. After much researchable, I found an EXCELLENT book on the subjuct. 100's of graphical examples. Old copies on Amazon (under 2 diff titles) one search yielded this one:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Better-Watch-Repairing-Faster-Lewis/dp/B0011ZAZ80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252209699&sr=8-1"]Better Watch Repairing Faster[/ame] by Max Lee

I picked up a copy for cheap from ebay a year or so ago. Even if you don't own a machine, you will learn a lot about watches & timing / positional timing. A MUST read in my opinon.

-mike

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
I promised to give an update when I got my Microset. I purchased my Microset Watch Timer in September of last year and it's been an invaluable tool . I've never used anything else, so I don't know what to compare it to, but I did research prices. It has everything I'll ever need to rate watches. I plan on ordering the Accutron sensor soon.

Gary Leck

Dec 17, 2005
Calumet
Country
Region
As far as the microset picking up interference from outside sorces, I found that any vibrations other than the object you are timing, it will pick it up. I have a small tv on my desk where I use my microset. When I time a pocketwatch, I either have to shut off my tv or set the watch up on a cloth to eliminate the vibrations of the tv. I usually have the tv up loud so I can here it. Can't here a watch tick even when I put up to my hearing aid.
I think that any vibrations in the house may interfer with the microset. I would not do without my microset.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Sounds great.

A few questions.

I think I understand that the Microset's (both II and III) have built in values to auto-detect. But is the Microsets built in values very extensive for both watches and clocks? (I get the feeling that these are primarily made for watches).

And what if for some reason the machine does not have the auto-detect value for a particular watch or clock.
Say for example, something slow like an anniversary clock...? Can you enter in the expected beat -a perfect beat value, and then the machine tells you how far you are off from that perfect beat value?

If so, is there a list of these values in some book? Or do you have to count teeth? I dred the thought of counting teeth.

I understand that the Microset II is upgradable (software wise) to a III. So does it make better sense for a newbian to buy the II and upgrade later?

RJ

le arsi

Jul 7, 2008
Philippines
Country
Sounds great.

A few questions.

I think I understand that the Microset's (both II and III) have built in values to auto-detect. But is the Microsets built in values very extensive for both watches and clocks? (I get the feeling that these are primarily made for watches).

And what if for some reason the machine does not have the auto-detect value for a particular watch or clock.
Say for example, something slow like an anniversary clock...? Can you enter in the expected beat -a perfect beat value, and then the machine tells you how far you are off from that perfect beat value?

If so, is there a list of these values in some book? Or do you have to count teeth? I dred the thought of counting teeth.

I understand that the Microset II is upgradable (software wise) to a III. So does it make better sense for a newbian to buy the II and upgrade later?

RJ
Hi RJ, I've been using Microset 3 for more than 8 years and there are so many impossible things(to others) that become possible for me as a professional watch and clockmaker. I dont know Mr Bryan Mumford but his tool really made a big changes in my watch/clock repairing business. Your problem of counting the teeth is no longer a problem because it has so many features that you can select including the Rate Finder and Counter that no Witschi and Vibro B200 could offer. The Microset is a versatile tool!

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice for someone in the business like you LeArsi, but for me expensive.I mostly just work on clocks so a Time Trax would work for me.
If you have the money for extra tools then why not have it.For me my budget is a little tight.:)

StanJS

Sep 20, 2006
North Andover, MA USA
Country
Region
I appreciate that information. Now, I just have to slip it in the budget. Maybe if I tell my wife I need it to adjust the colors on the flat panel TV?

Thanks,
Stan

le arsi

Jul 7, 2008
Philippines
Country
...or use it to monitor if the frequency of your house electrical main line is constant at 60Hz(to further support your plan). The tool can also check that actually under the accutron test mode.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spiketock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool