Favorite jeweling press toolset

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by rstl99, Jul 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Retired and free (with dog again!)
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been keeping an eye out for a good Favorite set. Ideally I was hoping for the newer one with the mini-faceplate attachment, but this very nice and complete older set came across and I managed to buy it.
    The seller unfortunately wrapped the box and the main tool separately, wrapped in bubble-wrap with a very sticky backing (first time I've seen bubble wrap like that). When I pried off the bubble wrap, it pulled up paint on the tool and finish on the box, so both looked rather disappointing.

Anyway, I sanded the box down to a smoother finish, and applied a generous coat of Varathane, and it now looks quite nice and shiny. I sanded the marks off the main tool, and refinished it with gloss black POR-15 paint and it came out looking most lovely indeed. All the anvils and stakes were cleaned using a rotating brass wire brush and came out clean. A few of the stakes with the spring-loaded center point needed to be taken apart and cleaned to restore the spring-loading function.

The set looks most attractive now, almost like new. Very well made tool set. One broken stake (no. 125), otherwise all is in very fine condition. Mine dates from the mid-1940's based on a label by a previous owner inside. I look forward to putting it to (hopefully) many uses. I attach a "before" photo (from the ad, and it looked much worse when the sticky bubble wrap was removed), and some photos after my "restoration".

--Robert

favorite-before.jpg IMG_0368.jpg IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0375.jpg

2. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    P.S. I also own a couple of small staking sets with stakes of the same diameter (4mm) as the Favorite ones, so I suppose in time I could decide to cut some of the longer stakes for use in the Favorite. Unless I can find a way to use them as-is but they are just too long to work.

IMG_0366.jpg

3. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Nice work! And congratulations on a good tool. Your set looks exactly like my older one, only mine has a green felt lining and is a lot less complete. The pushers and anvils are pretty straighforward to make. Only the spring loaded center pushers are more complicated but I've made do well without the one that are missing in my set. I've made a few of the regular flat ones and I've not bothered with hardening them. They see very small forces and very careful use, the Surfaces they are acting against are far more sensitive than the tool itself.

That most stumps from Boley and Favorite staking sets fit it is Another perk that I overlooked when we discussed this previously. Well spotted!

Regards
    Karl

4. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Karl,
    Yes making new pushers and anvils will be a good lathe exercice for me. I'll inspire myself from your example in the fusee chain repair thread, make a few small pushers to take apart the links and press in new ones.

One of my anvils has a spring loaded pointed center, so I checked it against a spring loaded pusher and the tool appears well aligned, which is good. Anyway, I'm very glad to have this set in my "tool box".

One of the 4mm stakes in my little staking set had a broken end, so I've cut three lengths out of it with which to make little pushers for the Favorite.

I do have to get better setup for softening and hardening steel. The propane torch I have (for making copper pipe repairs) just doesn't cut it. And my little alcohol lamp either. Will look into getting one of those mini butane torches or something like that.

Thanks,
    --Robert

5. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    p.s. What do you use the two tools on the far left in the set (the look like large spade drills with knurled handles)?

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Robert,

Those are deburring tools, to take the ragged edges off holes and give the jewels a clean start before pressing them in.

Regards,

Graham

7. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Male
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Graham, yes of course, that makes perfect sense.
    Regards
    --Robert