• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Favag Favag Electric slave clock problems

jans

jans
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Country
Region
Just purchased this FAVAG Slave clock and have a PIEXX impulser set to deliver 24 volts at 30 second intervals alternating polarity. The clock jumps several minutes on the minute, and the minute hand moves half a minute at 30 second interval. The main gear seems to be able to rotate somewhat freely- there does not seem to be a detent to keep the minute hand from rotating only one minute at a time. Any suggestions? I would be grateful for your help. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250656712898&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Jans, I'm going to move your thread down to the electric clocks forum for better exposure.

RODALCO

Mar 27, 2006
New Zealand
Country
Hi,

I have several 24 Volts Favag slave clocks in my house running of a Favag master clock.

These run on a 1 minute pulse of which the polarity is changed every minute.

The impulse is about 1 second long and is one minute of positive polarity and the next minute of the negative polarity.

I think your impulser is set for 30 seconds hence the fast advancement of your clock.

Regards

Raymond

jans

jans
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Country
Region
Thank you to all concerned. Chris, from PIEXX -mfg of the pulser suggested that I test the clock with three 9volt batteries snapped together in series and hook that up to the clock reversing the polarity to see how the clock advanced. It cleanly advanced 1 minute jumps. After that the pulser was set to 1 minute with reversing polarity and the clock has been running accurately for 18 hours.

RODALCO

Mar 27, 2006
New Zealand
Country
Great, it seems that you got it sorted out.
27 Volts is fine to run the Favag clock.
See how long your 9 Volts batteries last for.

For long term it may pay to look into a 24 Volts DC supply (wallwart)
For one clock 7 to 10 mA is usually enough.
So try to get a 200 or 300 mA supply for 24 V dc.

jans

jans
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Country
Region
this clock worked consistently for nearly a month. Then this morning it was 2 minutes fast. I stopped the clock by disconnecting the pulser for two minutes. then when restarting it, it quickly fell behind or did not advance for several more minutes. Now it has run for 12 hours accurately except that it was advanced by 1 minute all day. I am afraid to stop the clock and find that it does not properly advance. Is there any harm in pushing the minute hand back 1 minute? Is there any reason why the clock would suddenly gain two minutes and why the clock would not resume accurate time for 20 minutes today? I am using a PIEXX pulser. Thanks- Please reply to my personal email address stallco at aol dot com.

Edwardo

Jun 18, 2006
Melbourne Australia
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Hi,
Don’t try moving the hands!!
Stop the clock and disconnect the power
Swap the two wires that are connected to the movement
Power up the clock and wait for it to pulse
Then set to the correct time.
Don’t forget that these movements expect a positive pulse every alternative minute.
Normally plus volts on even numbers and negative volts on odd numbers
Sounds like you pulsing unit got a bit upset
Maybe it isn’t getting enough power?
Edd

jans

jans
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Country
Region
OK. I reversed the wiring. I was wondering if I needed to increase the length of the pulse. The clock has been consistent over night. Will monitor and hope it stabilizes. thanks- Jan

Edwardo

Jun 18, 2006
Melbourne Australia
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Sometimes these movents become sluggish due to dirt and old lubricants.
Ideally the movement would benefit from cleaning and relubricating,
but as a quick fix you can try a longer pulse.
I would suggest an impulse of no less then one second
and no more than three seconds

jans

jans
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Country
Region
I used an aircompressor to blow out the dust from the clock mechanism.
What is a good cleaner and lubricant? Should I try to get something from Timesavers catalog? Right now it is working ok. According to PIEXX designer the long pulse times would deplete the battery quickly. Do you have Favag clocks and experience with these specifically? Thanks again.

Edwardo

Jun 18, 2006
Melbourne Australia
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Hi,
Unfortunately high pressure air directed at a clock movement can do more harm then good
Properly cleaning a clock movement involves dismantling it and the cleaning of all its parts.
On re assembly of the movement a quality clock lubricant must be used.
Everything you need to do this is available on the net at such places as “Timesavers”
With regards to your friends at PIEXX, they are correct that a longer pulse will deplete the battery earlier; however this type of clock would operate more reliably from a power supply, as recommended by RODALCO
I own several Favag movements and have serviced similar for other people
They are a good unit, and once set up correctly should give many years of trouble free operation