• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Favag Favag 24v analogue slave alternating polarity pulse movement stopping intermittently

teecee

Nov 28, 2012
Hi board - new member here.

We were quite taken by two Favag clocks that were from an old radio studio sale - did some research (am totally new to the vintage / quality analogue clock world) and decided that the PIEXX analogue pulse units would be the best driving solution.

I've got the second hand ticking using an alternating polarity pulse, and the seconds and hours are keeping time - only problem being that the movement stops intermittently.

I'm wondering whether the movement is expecting an additional kick pulse every 15 mins / 30 mins?

Any ideas at all? I don't know if Favag movements are standardised in any way and someone can give me a definitive answer, or whether Favag made various types of movements with different pulse requirements.

Any help very much appreciated

Glad to have found the board.

Cheers

Tim

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Re: Favag 24v analogue slave alternating polarity pulse movement stopping intermitten

I have no data or experience with the Favag slave clock movements.

However, intermittent failure could be a too short duration of the impulse from your Piexx controller. Secondly, you haven't stated how the Piexx controller is powered; from tiny AA cells? When the Favag slave stops intermittently, what action do you take to put the device back in to working operation?

teecee

Nov 28, 2012
Re: Favag 24v analogue slave alternating polarity pulse movement stopping intermitten

Thanks for the quick reply

I've set the PIEXX IMP unit pulse to be as long as possible (I think the value is 60)

The clock keeps time for x-minutes (I need to check exactly how long), then starts up again.

The PIEXX unit is indeed powered by AA cells.

Investigations / Actions I know should take:

Check if the impulse unit 'active' LEDs are on or off during the period the clock hands are not moving
Confirm the length of time that the clock keeps time for (I am guessing it could be a regular 15/30/60 min cycle)
Check if the impulse unit behaves the same way if powered by a wall wart