• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Fast Seconds Hand

Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
Gadsden, AL
Country
Region
Well, somebody has bound to have come across this one before. A friend whose grandfather clock I had serviced years ago owns this German regulator clock which keeps near perfect time... but the seconds hand has always run fast. After verifying that the seconds hand took about 54 seconds to do a complete 1-minute sweep while the minute hand moved normally I could only guess that possibly someone had changed a wheel out at some point which had a slightly different tooth count. But since the seconds hand slips onto the EW arbor that theory died in the water. A dial change isn't likely since it would still take the same amount of time to go from 12-to-12. Hopefully these pictures will at least give a glimpse of the clock. It was about the best I could do with on the wall.
I do indeed get some strange ones. ;) - Randy
'RG' Wall Clock-1_092014.JPG 'RG' Wall Clock-2_092014.jpg 'RG' Wall Clock-3_092014.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Normally they run 45 seconds for a 360° sweep. I've seen 'em on Ansonia's, and Vienna's. Probably more.

Last edited by a moderator:

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
The second bits on these clocks is only an indicator, not an actual seconds display. The seconds hand runs directly off the escape wheel arbor. So, unless you are lucky enough to have a true seconds beat Vienna clock with a three foot pendulum, it cannot be a true indicator.

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
Or you can have one that actually does go around in 60 seconds, and if you look carefully at the seconds dial you will notice it has 80 marks instead of the normal 60 minute marks

Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
Gadsden, AL
Country
Region
This one just caught me by surprise. I've never really paid that much attention to the seconds hand on these type clocks, only on the GFs which seem to be pretty much dead-on. This'll make for some interesting clock talk as opportunity presents itself. It's right up there with sympathetic vibration! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inlikeflynn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-