Farmers Daughter driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Runningman, Jan 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Runningman

Runningman Registered User

Jan 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am new to the board and hope some day to be useful to others but at this time I don't have much to offer. I'm new to clock repair and have only two successful Cuckoo repairs under my belt.
    I recently purchased a broken Farmers Daughter cuckoo. I successfully cleaned and oiled it. I also rebushe'd the drum on the music box. My drum has an elongated slot that the stop lever drops into. This is a problem when adjusting my Regula 25 music levers. How do I get the fan stop rod adjusted so that it runs long enough to pass the slot on the drum? Everything is working but I am unable to get the music box to turn several revelations before the stop Rod inhibits the governor...Is it that sensitive? Now when the stop Rod falls away and the activation arm drops the lever s still in the slot and the box won't play.... Frustrated clock whana be..Help me please, desperate in Oregon.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Quarterafter likes this.
  2. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That slot needs to be unbushed. The purpose of the slot is to let the hook drop in and allow the hose piece on the upper part of the arm to stop the gov fan. When it is released there needs to be a small amount of space between the hook and the drum to allow the drum to advance from the hook, the fan is held by the "whisker"(wire) and when the cuckoo is finished the music box is free to operate.
    Hope this helps.
    tom

3. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like you're saying that when the music box lever is pulled and after it's done cuckooing, the lever falls back into the slot and the music doesn't play. If that's the case, you need to bend the lever down some where the pin goes into the drum. So when the activation lever is pulled, the pin hops up onto that oval part and can't fall back down into the hole. As it runs it will come back down off the ledge.

4. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Runningman

Jan 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    After the strike and the activation arm falls back into the music box.The drum doesn't advance far enough last time it stopped and drops back into the milled slot on the tine barrel. When the whisker wire falls away after the strike the box can't rotate again?

wow likes this.
  6. Runningman

Jan 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Wow, thank you for posting this resource. I think I just need to make a couple of special tools to adjust the warning wire carefully. I don't think I could do this with my fingers or pliers and no room to work. This article was most helpful.. On my clock I also think the pin drum is not timed correctly to the slotted drive gear. I had the adjustment close once and I could hear a couple notes sound. I also need to reposition the gear slightly so that its in a dead spot on the drum in relationship to the slot. Thank you again, I appreciate it...

7. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The drum doesn't need to advance for the pin to not fall back in. When the pin gets pulled out, it needs to hop up onto the oval like in this picture.

15172579243964851405258538289167.jpg

8. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just finished one of these. Is your guy climbing the ladder while music is playing?

9. Runningman

Jan 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes! That portion works well..

10. Runningman

Jan 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I was wondering what that egg shaped piece was for. Now that I have timed the slot to the pin drum I may have to move that piece. My pin just drops back into the slot. It never rides on that plate. Thank you.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Often there's a spring that pulls it back when it disengages from the hole.

12. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    The arm should pull down away from the slot when it activates. The raised disk on the end of the drum will guide the arm back into the slot. If the power stops short of the chimes ending then the screw that holds the arm to the chimes must be adjusted. The drum should be stopped when the arm is pulled and the stop hook stops the power on the butterfly. You can also slide the rubber tube back and forth to adjust when this happens . So the drum should stop right after the last note is played. Some drums have a dotted line indicating where the drum should stop. Some time a guy will think the arm needs to be adjusted when it's just the dept of where it's located that need to change. But if the arm does not pull down away from the slot when activated, it's the spring or the arm that need to be adjusted.