Fantasy clock glass

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by Holescreek, Jul 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Holescreek

Holescreek Registered User

Jul 26, 2019
    Male
    Machinist, all around fix it guy
    Centerville, OH
    Country Flag:
    Last year I bought a nice (but gutted) oak cased industrial clock, or at least parts of it at a local antique mall. The only parts original to the clock were the case and the dial. The movement had bee ripped out and a small electronic movement with new hands was in place.

I looked at replacement glass available for sessions clocks but they are all 14" wide and the lower panel of my clock is only 12" so I decided to take a stab at making my own. Rather than copying another design I decided to make something unique. I took a photo of the face of a Golden Rule coffee grinder hanging on my kitchen wall and imported the image into Draftsight then drew lines around the lettering in the image. Once complete I was left with the outlines of the letters. I drew the rectangle for the gold box around the letters and saved the file as a PNG for export to a Cricut stencil cutter. Once the file was uploaded into the Cricut software I sized it to fit the glass I was using and cut a reverse image stencil.

Getting the stencil centered on the glass was the hardest part, especially since I used the wrong kind of vinyl for this project. I found out later that there is a special vinyl for painting stencils and I had used permanent vinyl - making it very hard to remove from the glass after the letters were painted. I had to cut through the paint around every letter with an exacto knife before lifting the vinyl to keep the paint from peeling off with it. Once the gold letters had dried I went over the glass with black paint.

I'd intended to keep the original dial on the clock but the wife said she didn't like the dial or the gold border. I cut a new piece of 20 ga sheet metal for the face and painted it black. I sourced an 11" paper dial online for $2 and glued it in place. The $4 movement that came with the clock was replaced with a pendulum chime unit.

2v2Eg2K1NxAjwmD.jpg 2v2Eg2KK5xAjwmD.jpg 2v2Eg2Kw8xAjwmD.jpg 2v2Eg2KfMxAjwmD.jpg 2v2Eg2KbyxAjwmD.jpg

PatH likes this.
  2. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for sharing your project and its great results! It fits in perfectly with your display.

We got a Silhouette to experiment with this type of stencil-making, but seems that's another project for post-retirement. Your experience makes it look like this should move up in my priorities!

3. Holescreek

Jul 26, 2019
    Male
    Centerville, OH
    Country Flag:
    I wish I'd gone with the Silhouette instead of the Cricut, I hate that the Cricut is all cloud based storage and they're constantly messing with the programs. Live and learn.

4. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Curious as to why you changed the dial as long as it was original to the clock. The original looked to be in good shape.
    Nice job on the glass.

5. Holescreek

Jul 26, 2019
    Male
    Centerville, OH
    Country Flag:
    Thanks! As with most things in my life doing things that don't make sense are somewhat out of my control. My wife didn't like the gold corners and the stain on the original dial. my only option was to keep the original dial safe for future use and make a replacement to meet her requirements.

6. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Smart man!