• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Faller & Sohne vs Regula

munnerlyn3

Dec 6, 2019
Country
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have two cuckoo clocks one that is marked on the movement "Faller & Sohne" that doesnt have any music. The other one isnt marked on the movement but has a governor on it that looks similar to the newer Regula 72 movements that I have seen on ebay. Can some one please provide me with the history of the Faller & Sohne (ie when they started, what type of clocks they made, when they went out of business if they have, etc.,) and can they tell me if the other movement which the plates look similar to the Faller & Sohne clock that I have but the clock has the music governor that is sticking above the movement where other clocks that have music have a separate music box with governors attached. Thank you in advance. (the first picture on the left is marked "Faller & Sohne the other two pictures isnt marked but have the musical governor that sticks out of the movement)

8269939612566rfpe.jpg 96718532395221est3.jpg 52964412395221est3.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Can some one please provide me with the history of the Faller & Sohne (ie when they started, what type of clocks they made, when they went out of business if they have, etc.,)
I think the company you mean is Faller Söhne, not Faller & Söhne, but I can't enlarge you photo enough to see clearly what is marked on your movement.

Josef Faller Söhne was started in Triberg in 1846 and by the later part of the 19th century was acknowledged as one of the larger cuckoo-clock manufacturers. Whether they ever made their own movements is not clear - quite possibly they didn't. Not a great deal is known on the history of the company. They had only a few of their own employees and depended largely on home workers, but this was quite usual in the production of cuckoo clocks at this time. The company seems to have gone out of business late 1950s/early 1960s.

This information is taken from Schmid's Lexikon. I hope it may help you.

JTD

Reactions: munnerlyn3

munnerlyn3

Dec 6, 2019
Country
I think the company you mean is Faller Söhne, not Faller & Söhne, but I can't enlarge you photo enough to see clearly what is marked on your movement.

Josef Faller Söhne was started in Triberg in 1846 and by the later part of the 19th century was acknowledged as one of the larger cuckoo-clock manufacturers. Whether they ever made their own movements is not clear - quite possibly they didn't. Not a great deal is known on the history of the company. They had only a few of their own employees and depended largely on home workers, but this was quite usual in the production of cuckoo clocks at this time. The company seems to have gone out of business late 1950s/early 1960s.

This information is taken from Schmid's Lexikon. I hope it may help you.

JTD
Thank you and you are correct it does read Faller Sohne. Thanks for the information.

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have two cuckoo clocks one that is marked on the movement "Faller & Sohne" that doesnt have any music. The other one isnt marked on the movement but has a governor on it that looks similar to the newer Regula 72 movements that I have seen on ebay. Can some one please provide me with the history of the Faller & Sohne (ie when they started, what type of clocks they made, when they went out of business if they have, etc.,) and can they tell me if the other movement which the plates look similar to the Faller & Sohne clock that I have but the clock has the music governor that is sticking above the movement where other clocks that have music have a separate music box with governors attached. Thank you in advance. (the first picture on the left is marked "Faller & Sohne the other two pictures isnt marked but have the musical governor that sticks out of the movement)

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
No, I just wanted to get a response so I could save this thread to my Google gmail label " Clock/ Cuckoo" You made that possible. Thank you, and happy new year to all. Danny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent