fake or real ?????

oxford

Feb 23, 2011
Country
found in a box of parts, 21s coin case heavy 6.3 oz. serial number 61032

real mcoy or fake still would like date made....

attached photos

thanks 85229.jpg 85230.jpg 85231.jpg 85232.jpg

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Pritchard mentions a "Girard Watch Co" watch, serial #47565 (fairly close to your number), which she describes as an "American style watch in a large coin silver hunting case" which was made by Schwob Freres of Chaux de Fonds in Switzerland. This company, says Pritchard, had "a long history of legal fakery". The trademark "The Girard Watch" was registered by Schwob in 1892.

So I think your watch is a classic "Swiss fake", a watch purporting to be a good quality American watch, which it isn't.

That doesn't make it worthless by any means; it has an interesting place in horological history and may in fact be as good a watch technically as the one it was pretending to be :)

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Note that the balance is partially cut to make it look like temperature compensated. No American made watch that I know of did that.

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
On the other hand, why did they choose such a French name if they were pretending this was an American watch :confused:

jfl

NAWCC Member
May 1, 2006
Another opinion is that this is a 11-15 jewel ~ 18 size watch made in the American style as an inexpensive alternative. I don't think this qualifies as a Swiss fake as the jewels do not look fake and the name is not intended to deceive. I suggest coming up with a different nomenclature for this type of watch than a "Swiss Fake". JFL

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
It is really quite a simple concept:

If the balance rim contains screws and is partially cut through to appear as though it was a compensated balance (which it isn't), then it is pretending to be something that it is not. It is a fake, plain and simple. It doesn't matter what the rest of the watch looks like, nor what name is on it, nor where it was sold. If it was made in Switzerland, then it is a Swiss fake.

Modest watches, created and marketed worldwide, as inexpensive alternatives to more sophisicated watches do not have imitation compensated balances. Knowledgeable people do not refer to these as fakes unless their plate design and names closely approximate those of watches of higher grade built by well-known manufacturers.

Having said that, Swiss fake watches in good repair can keep time within a couple of minutes a day, which is adequate for most purposes. Some collectors seek these out and make a nice collection of them.

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Dr. Jon;534509 said:
Note that the balance is partially cut to make it look like temperature compensated. No American made watch that I know of did that.
I have a low-numbered(~4000) Illinois "Miller" grade keywind that has a partially cut rim on a bimetallic screwed balance.

That's not to mention the thousands of early '57 model Walthams that had solid bimetallic screwed balances, although these do not have even half cuts in the rim. I have a low grade Marion(G.A. Reed) that has a similar solid bimetallic balance. The Marion is even loaded up with a whole bunch of gold screws.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Ben:

The point refers to partially cut balances, not uncut ones.

I'm curious about your Illinois "Miller" grade, can you post a picture of the balance? Is it typical of Illinois balances of that era?

Thanks,
Kent

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Kent,

Here are a couple of photos of the balance from a few different perspectives.

As far as it being typical or not of Illinois of that era-I have no idea as I'm not an Illinois collector and it's the earliest one I've owned or handled. Fred Hansen, John Cote, or Dave Coatsworth might have a better handle on whether or not it's correct. Given the low grade nature of the movement, it honestly doesn't surprise me.

View attachment 4901 85620.jpg 85621.jpg

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
So, do you think that there was a legitimate reason for the half-cuts in the balance rim or was it intended to simulate a compensated balance?

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions