• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Fake dials?

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Shoot the watchbreaker! :eek:

:clap:;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bryan Eyring

49stude63

Mar 21, 2009
Michigan
Country
Region
As I and others have tried to state with the utmost clarity, originality adds value, if you have a nice example of pocket watch brand X and in most examples of this watch the dials deteriorate badly and it is hard to find one with a good to excellent dial, your watch has a very good to excellent dial. Simply put that adds a heck of a lot of monetary and historic value especially if all the other grades (same) of this watch have non-original (fake) dials. As I stated before I don't plan to be the pocket watch dial police but if the collecting community understands because there are place to look at on the net that show how to spot a non-original (fake) dial then the hobby will start to police itself by knowing and not buying watches that have been altered in a way that decreases its value, that is how they would be policed. It was suggested earlier that how to identify fake dials was easy, common knowledge, in a typical search of the internet this does not appear to be the case, for the average pocket watch collector, not all come to this site, not all are members but if there were to do search via the common search engines and type in fake pocket watch dial or non-original pocket watch dial or whatever politically correct term they used they would find this site. On the area that was started on June 4th there should be an expansion, some is already there, Elgin dials (real dial-fake dial), Hamilton dials (real dial-fake dial), for all brands that apply and the members help fill in the data by supplying examples, if there are any trends, point them out, for double sunk dials look for this, this and this, for metal dials look for this, this and this. Draw collectors to this site, give them good information, let them find out there is a wealth of information here to help them. All good hobbies have data so the collector can use to determine how orginal or non-original his item is. At the moment we are still debaing moot points. Jon at this rate we may get to page 15

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Here is a FAKE dial listing, although it may be too sophistcated for Kent.

Otay dials:about 30 years Dr Bundens, one time president of the nawcc, on one of his European trips decided to have a some FAKE Otay Watch Company dials made in Switzerland. The Doc had a horrible, original one with a large chip out of it on one of hs more common grade Otays.

The cost was great (at the time), so the Doc (as we affectionaly called him) decided to have more than one made; he figured he could make back some of his "start up" money by selling the extras to other collectors. One thing he hadn't planned on was that he made more FAKE OTAY dials than there were customers and collectors who needed them due to their scarcity and fact that many Otay dials remain in choice condition.

In the end he sold the remainders for $25. ea AFTER he gave some away to friends as a curiosity!

The dials: not bad except the color of the porcelain, the ink slightly off and ONE DIAL FOOT is slightly off center for its mov't hole allignment requiring a slight bend to fit an Otay movement are incorrect and not a perfect match.

Some non Otay experts have some watches with incorrect dials to this day, and I am certain most are unaware of this fact! The FAKE might look OK, but these are FAKED and have cheated the ignorant buyer. It would be tough and expensive to SWITCH to an original, but then SWITCH FROM WHAT? Rip one off another original watch? (Here COME THE SWITCHING "boys," I can smell them coming.)

So goes the Otay dial story. Have I worried any Otay collectors out there that might have a FAKE?

We had one heck of a lot of fun in those old days!:Party:

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
I have a question for everyone to ponder.

You send your favorite all-original watch to the repair shop. Your favorite watchmaker notices that the dial has some small edge chips near the setting level and a hairline on the seconds bit. Being the thoroughgoing type (that's why he's your favorite), he replaces the dial with an unlicensed reproduction dial in pristine new condition. He adds $50 to the cost of the other services ($30 for parts, $20 for service), and returns it to you.

When you look at the bill and see the charge for the dial, what do you do?

- Greg
sell them to Kent

Nathan2307

Apr 20, 2005
Maryland
You know, I've been watching these boards for quite a few years now and I seldom post but I have to say, the clock guys are a lot nicer to each other...

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
But, do they switch and fake up clocks as much, OR MORE?zzz

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
But, do they switch and fake up clocks as much, OR MORE?zzz
Most of the clock guys I know are OK with refinishing wooden clocks. You can never go back to original from a strip and refinish.....but I would agree that most clock guys are more civil than most watch guys. Watch guys are hot blooded.

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Most of the clock guys I know are OK with refinishing wooden clocks. You can never go back to original from a strip and refinish.....but I would agree that most clock guys are more civil than most watch guys. Watch guys are hot blooded.
John, I have three clock guys that tell me clocks guys are worse than watch folks; and that there is more clock switching and dial refinishing than one could ever imagine! :rolleyes:

Ray Fanchamps

Deceased
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
LLareggub
Country
Region
After receiving several complaints some posts have been removed.
These posts contained nothing educational nor any relavance to American Pocketwatches (the topic of the forum).

This is a great resource and it works best when focused on horology and not personalities. It also works best remembering people of all ages and sensitivities visiit and enjoy the resource.

Share the knowledge and the enjoyment, the other stuff has no place here.

Thanks

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
I believe it would be wise to begin a list of known FAKE dials. Many FAKE dials have been around for over 30 years. Maybe this list of FAKE dials could be made a sticki.

I do not have any of these/would not own any, but have seen many at shows, in auctions and in private collections.

I'll begin:

16 & 18s Illinois Bunn Special Illinois dials--very poor renditions; one group made in Switzerland on order for Manny Trauring when he was in NYC whih he sold mostly by mail order

18s E Howard (old style)--simply horrible, signatures are totally incorrect and easy to recognize

18s Ferguson dial--seconds at three, incorrect markings

Elgin/Waltham, etc. mostly large size decals created by Roy Ehrhardt; as he stated, "To make ugly watches saleable."

FAKE logos and insignias placed on mostly 12 & 16s metal dials. Also used on porcelain dials which were refired. Cars, trains, motorcycles; Packard, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Pierce Arrow for example were some used. Almost always made for common Elgin & Waltham dials (watches) as these were cheap watches, easy to locate in quantities and repair.

18s Hamilton Ball logos, placed and refired on a small group (12-20) 18s Ball watch dials. These are very dangerous FAKES and have fooled some unsuspecting advanced collectors.

Always use my "STARE AND COMPARE" METHOD, to save you from grief and pocket book drainage!

I believe this is an important topic and list, to aid the newbie and naive collector in todays very treacherous market of FAKERY!

Please add to this list.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
John, I have three clock guys that tell me clocks guys are worse than watch folks; and that there is more clock switching and dial refinishing than one could ever imagine! :rolleyes:
Jon, there are many members who make a living refinishing clock dials. Clocks are much more a display item than watches, and a badly flaking dial makes for an unattactive display. That clock that was found stored in a barn deserves to be restored to an attractive appearance. If you watch guys and gals don't mind, I would like to copy a few posts in this thread to start a new thread in the clock forum to see how "fake dials" are viewed by clock collectors.

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Jon, there are many members who make a living refinishing clock dials. Clocks are much more a display item than watches, and a badly flaking dial makes for an unattactive display. That clock that was found stored in a barn deserves to be restored to an attractive appearance. If you watch guys and gals don't mind, I would like to copy a few posts in this thread to start a new thread in the clock forum to see how "fake dials" are viewed by clock collectors.
Hi Harold,

Please be my guest.

I fully understand clock "upgrades" and alterations, as clocks serve more as a utility and the LWs want them pretty to add to their decor.

I know quite a few serious clock collectors and they abhor dial restorations. These folks specialize in older and rarer clocks. Several expert clock folks like Chaney, now of Skinner, and Chris Bailey, the curiator at the Bristol Museum, hate dial alterations and clock switching! They will not own or have any part of it!

I am being honest here and am reporting what they tell me, as I am not a clock man (but I do have a few--family items. Mom & Pop would come back and shoot me if I refinished a family GF 18th century brass dial or an Elliott!).

What type of clocks do your friends on the CLOCK MB switch and fake?

Jon

Last edited:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Jon, it depends on the degree of degridation of the dial. If it is losing all of it's identifying characteristics (signature, numbers) I feel it is better to restore than to end up with a blank piece of metal. Many old tall clock dials are becoming almost one of a kind rare. Many of those involved in dial restoration are truely talented individuals.

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Understood. Clocks dials are more subject to wear and use!:)

Yes, and don't forget to include glass experts.

Rather than SWITCH tablets, I have seen some incredible repairs of the glass!:cool:

One issue with GF clocks is that many have been sold through decorators to businesses as an office expense; thus, the OVER use, moving mishaps and inflated prices of same.:mad:

StanJS

Sep 20, 2006
North Andover, MA USA
Country
Region
It seems the last place to look for examples of fake dials is this thread. I'll try to change that.

Below are a pair of 16s dials that came with a lot of parts and tools I bought over the weekend. They appear to be porcelain on metal but are odd. They have no brand name nor do they have feet. You'd have to glue them to the movements. What are they? How would you use them?

Cheers,
Stan

Attachments

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Hi,

Not having thm in hand thy could be:

1. unfinished

2. error dials

3. dials that require a" rack" as in English watches to be attached to the dial, the to the movement

4. dials that require a ring for snap on

WITHOUT having them in hand, I'd guess #3.

In any event these appear NOT to be American and should be placed in the foreign topic.

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
I want to help you Stan.
Here's a little beauty. It's an 18s Waltham. You can see the silk screen dots without a loupe. What looks like a crease in the sticker at the seconds bit, is the lighting. The dial is mint, and the glue holding the decal on, is still holding. :confused:
Please don't write me asking if it's for sale. It is not. I wouldn't sell it to anyone.:)

Attachments

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Brian, a real beauty & a fine acquisition--worthy of the finest of collections.

One of Roy's very best!

:myhappy:

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
Jon,
Thank you very much. I knew you would like it.:confused: It is so worthy of my collection, I keep it separate from the others.:rolleyes: I'll post another little beauty tomorrow.:) Scanning too many of these at once, is hard on the eyes.:eek:
I almost forgot. The reason I showed the back of the dial is, I didn't want anyone writing asking if it said O'Hara on the back.

Last edited:

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
I am pleased to see the back because I thought, maybe, possibly, hopefully it might have been a MOORHOUSE! :mysad: ;) :eek: :myhappy:

Ethan Lipsig

NAWCC Gold Member
Jan 8, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Country
Region
OK. I will commit heresy. Of course, I prefer an unrefinished dial that is is in good condition, but I prefer a correctly refinished dial to a damaged metal dial. For example, this Bok-cased Hamilton 400 came with an aged dial with a dent in it. The refinished dial looks much better, if only to me.

Attachments

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
Jon,
If you liked the last dial I showed, you're really going to love this one.:D It's one of my favorites.:rolleyes: This one is an 18s American Waltham Watch, 18s, Card Dial. What makes this so confusing, is it's signed Laredo over the seconds bit. If anyone knows what that means, it's ok, you don't need to write.:myhappy: Anyway, I think this dial will fit most 18s Waltham's, as it doesn't have any dial feet. It comes with dial dots. (see picture):eek: Maybe it's a Moorehouse, I don't know. :}It is in mint condition. I know a lot of people would like this dial, but I wouldn't sell it to anyone, at almost any price.:D It's a keeper I tell you.:=

Attachments

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Fake dials--Brian, you are spoiling us!

certainly unique and should grace singer's Wiki

Don't you have more of these "gems?"

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
I'll look under a few more rocks tomorrow and see if I can find anymore..;)

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
I found another one.
This is an 18s Waltham, signed A.W.Co. Waltham. I showed this to Joe Conroy, years ago. He looked at it with his loupe and said, "it's a fake, but a good one" He then asked me if I wanted to sell it. I figured if he wanted it, it was either a good one, or he wanted to crush it, so it would be no more.
Hey, I just figured, I have a collection, of these great dials.

Attachments

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
I found another one.
This is an 18s Waltham, signed A.W.Co. Waltham. I showed this to Joe Conroy, years ago. He looked at it with his loupe and said, "it's a fake, but a good one" He then asked me if I wanted to sell it. I figured if he wanted it, it was either a good one, or he wanted to crush it, so it would be no more.
Hey, I just figured, I have a collection, of these great dials.
Knowing jumpimg Joe........he wanted it to sell and make a buck!:eek:

PS Boy, that one is dark--the dark side of dial collecting.:rolleyes::D

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
Yes, Jumping Joe was quite a guy.:)
Jon, look at the dial and tell me which is the darkest hour?;)

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
The "6" which isn't there!!!!!!!!!

Actually, Jumping Joe is starting a comeback--he is on his ninth life. He has been seen in NH sniffing around a few auctions.

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
I heard he was looking foe school balance wheel displays.:D
You are correct. The six is not there.:mad:

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Does this make it RARE?

Bryan Eyring,
Aspiring RARE Dial Collector
BRYAN,

I AM CERTAIN THAT Brian can take care of you and your aspirations!:D:Party:

:bang:

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
Ok, enough, turn these wonderful items over to the wonderful world of WIKI (WWW)!

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
Are these gems now posted on a WIKI Board?

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
Well now. This rather lively thread seems like a good place to show off 2 recent additions to the collection.
We have -

A watch that is trying its hardest to look like a Waltham pocket watch with single-sunk Montgomery dial, and

(from the same seller, IIRC) A watch with Ferguson-style dial, old-fashioned hour & minute hands, and (for that really authentic touch) a seconds hand that judders along in what might be 0.2 second increments.

I shall be keeping an eye out to see whether a similar "boxcar" or "Erhardt" offering becomes available.

DSCN9507.JPG DSCN9508.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutch Calibre
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-