Failure of Rack Hook to Disengage From Rack; Kienzler 1900 Mantel Westminster Chime

Sojourner

May 15, 2021
Country
As a newcomer to the NAWCC, I've benefited greatly from the different threads. Special thanks to Bangster's Chime Clock Basics which help me with terms and the movement. I have a Kienzler 1900 (this may or may not be the year of manufacture) Mantel Westminster Chime Clock. The problem: The hourly strike failed to strike more than one time. The 4 stage chime worked, but for some reason the hourly strike would only strike one time regardless of the hour. So, 24 hours of one strike per hour.

After looking at the movement it appears that when the Locking Plate engages the Long Lifting Lever for the hourly strike sequence, the Long Lifting Lever fails to give a sufficient lift to the Rack Hook to allow time to disengage and set for the correct hour. Please see the photos. If I'm correct then does this require a replacement of the Locking Plate which perhaps would have a larger "Hump" and allow for a greater lift and an accurate sequence? Or is there something else I'm missing? Again, I am grateful for any guidance.

Mike

PS This is a 2nd post. I originally inadvertently posted on the "Archives" thread.

Kienzle Rack Hook Failure.jpg Kienzle Locking Plate Hump.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
If the "silent" lever is activated, this movement will strike a single time on the hour. It appears to be a design fault. I spent a lot of time trying to get the silent lever to work properly and the best I could do is get it to work properly if activated only after the quarter. Although I see in your photo that the silent lever is not activated, the problem sounds so similar to what I worked on, that it might be the chime correction is somehow preventing the full strike. However, if the full chime is playing first, my advice may be way off the mark. A video of it working, posted to youtube and the URL posted here would get you more help. If the problem is in the locking plate, it would be a worn pivot hole, not the plate itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sojourner

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Here's what should happen: As the full Westminster chime concludes, the lever should raise the rack hook and release the rack so it can fall onto the snail. If it doesn't fall, the strike can't function properly. Look for what is preventing the rack from falling. It might be the gathering pallet, the rack hook, or the lever not raising high enough to release it. Once you have the problem identified, you will likely see how to adjust it ;)

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I have a clock with the same movement running and it strikes as it should.
The problems come when wear develops on the locking disc or lifting levers.
Even a hair of wear can cause problems.

Sojourner

May 15, 2021
Country
Thanks tracerjack, shutterbug and chimeclockfan for the thoughts. I appreciated tracerjack's earlier thread which addressed the same problem (the video was insightful). Pls see attached video of the movement. I think in my case the locking plate's hump may have worn down over the years. The long lever lifts ... but not sufficiently high enough (tolerances??). When the rack hook lifts it doesn't disengage from the rack to allow a full strike count. If I am correct I see three options:
1. Purchase (if I can find one) another locking plate with less wear.
2. Attach a small node (??) onto the end of the lifting lever (which would then lift the rack hook higher, even a hair higher would work).
3. Take up knitting.
Suggestions?
https://youtu.be/fHB22TDCuq8

• Love
Reactions: Royce

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Your second option would be most viable, these movements weren't meant to look pretty but the neater the job the better.
Heaps of solder or krazy glue are not always smiled upon. :o:) Knitting sounds like a good idea after the clock has been repaired.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm not seeing any lift at the rack hook. Be sure it is in position to engage with the lever from the chime side. There are a couple of things to try. You might be able to bend the lever a little. Or you might be able to bend the rack hook where it engages with it.

Sojourner

May 15, 2021
Country
Thanks shutterbug, sounds like viable options. I’m looking at it again this afternoon and will post here the outcome. Grateful!

Sojourner

May 15, 2021
Country
Thanks again all, after numerous attempts I finally devised a small node on the end of the long lever to lift the rack sufficiently to give a consistent strike according to the hour. Please see the videos before and after. Grateful!

https://youtu.be/fHB22TDCuq8 Without sufficient clearance to allow for strike sequence

https://youtu.be/KX0Lygsrxrs This is the corrected version, with a small node added to the end of the long lever for a 3:00 strike

Reactions: chimeclockfan

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Sometimes you have to be an inventor to get things working. Good job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-