Factory recycled parts

34Ford5W

Apr 5, 2013
Oklahoma
Country
Region
I have a Waltham Model 1892 Royal OF watch Serial # 7820165. While taking it apart for servicing I noticed that the backside of the plate had been stamped with AWWCo. Waltham, Mass. I’m just curious to know how common it is to see the use of recycled parts like this from the factory.

Attachments

34Ford5W

Apr 5, 2013
Oklahoma
Country
Region
I'm not sure what happened here. I am by far no expert, I just thought it was unusual so was asking to see if anyone had seen something like this before.

Last edited:

Bill B

Aug 12, 2004
Apache Jct AZ
Country
Region
The model 1892 is a full plate model as far as I know. I have never seen a split plate like yours. Could you show the other piece and how it goes together please. Thanks Bill

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
The model 1892 is a full plate model as far as I know. I have never seen a split plate like yours. Could you show the other piece and how it goes together please. Thanks Bill
The plate shown here is the normal shape for an 1892 top plate.

As for the stamping underneath, I have never seen that.

Bill B

Aug 12, 2004
Apache Jct AZ
Country
Region
My guess is that when someone was running the plate name stamper they put this plate in upside down. They noticed what happened and just reloaded the plate correctly hence the stamp on both side. The two tone plates were not all that common, so rather get in trouble why not.

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Hi Rick, I have had one too and posted it here. As I recall it was just the bridge piece of a model '92 and I'd picked it up hoping to use the jewels. Then I found the same markings as you. I tried (briefly) to find that old post but no luck.
I repair antique toys too. It is fairly common to find stamped metal parts that are lithoed on the other side for a different toy. For watches, I had only seen this once before. -Cort

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Looking at the pictures, I guess Bill B was right about the plate stamped on the wrong side, accidentally. Seems to be the simpliest answer, so it might be the one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdminter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre