Fabulous watch by Player of England for J.P. Morgan.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
Country
Region
I'm not sure if non-subscribers to the L.A. Times can view any number of articles, but if you can, here's a great one. A great story that meshes English watchmaking, American business moguls, antique dealers and watch experts, and some great sleuthing by the author. And what a watch it is! Enjoy if you can. Cheers all.

I can't help wondering if the watch is now owned by one of our more well-to-do collectors?

J.P.'s complicated Player.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Great article with a good ending. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: MrRoundel

John Cote

Staff member
Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
Daniel Miller is a great writer and a fellow watch nerd. He wrote the article about our friend Fred Freidburg's Illinois Watch Company book which appeared on the front page of the LA Sunday Times a couple of years or so ago.

Reactions: MrRoundel

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
When I try to look at the article, I see a paywall that offers a $1 subscription for 6 months with and increase to $98 for a year.

I do not really mind that arrangement although it feels a little predatory for the elderly. I am currently stuck with a subscription to HBO Max that I cannot figure out how to cancel since it came as part of my Amazon Prime account and is now billing me on its own.

I have been reading the other thread but had not read the L.A. Times article. Is it worth subscribing and then cancelling the subscription to read the article?

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/j-p-morgans-million-dollar-pocket-watch.184554/

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Tom maybe try a different browser.

Rob

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I decided to splurge for the $1 and the hassle of cancelling the subscription.

The article was well worth it and brought back the names of some old friends from back when I thought I could actually make money buying and selling watches (I could not).

I am very fond of Coventry watches, so the Player watches are interesting in general, but this one is clearly over the top. I gave a talk at the National Meeting a few years ago that included the Patek watches for Packard and Graves as well as the Hebrew perpetual calendar watch recntly made by V&C's special watches group. Personal Time

Maybe I can update that one with the Player watch if someone can introduce me to its owner. :)

Reactions: musicguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sara.fagan73
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent