F. Lorch lathe

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I picked this lathe up for $100 at a local auction. There doesn't seem to be any info on this make in the archives. It seems to be a decent quality. Came with 16 collets and a light that mounts on the side of the lathe bed. Also comes with a metal belt.
Question: do I need a second belt to go from the idler pully to the lathe? Do I need to use this idler pully? I assume it goes between the motor and the lathe for speed variations.

Attachments

Jeff Hamilton

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2007
Tallahassee, FL
www.AtmosTools.com
Country
Harold,

That is a nice setup, is it 6 or 8mm?

By all means keep the idler pulley, it will give you a greater range in speeds and allow for more power at the head of the lathe. You mount the idler in between the motor and the lathe with the motor belt going to the large outside pulley and another belt going from the center pulleys of the idler to the lathe.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Thanks, Jeff. The collets are 6 mm. I guess this should be mounted on a board (plywood?) to make it portable. It also came with these two parts that I am not sure of the purpose for. One looks like a press, and the other I don't have a clue about.
Also, I don't know what I did wrong, but if you could delete the duplicate post, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

Jeff Hamilton

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2007
Tallahassee, FL
www.AtmosTools.com
Country
Harold,

The piece on the left is the motor mount and the piece in the center should hold the lathe so it could be clamped to the bench.
6mm collets are harder to come by, the good news is generally when you find them they are cheap.
You will find some folks that will knock this lathe because of the bed style and the fact it's a 6mm, but it is nice lathe.

Jeff Hamilton

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2007
Tallahassee, FL
www.AtmosTools.com
Country
Harold,

Here is a picture of a lathes I bought at the FL Regional the last year it was in Orlando.

It is an 8mm with cross slide and collet holding tailstock. The neatest thing about this lathe is the motor. To start the lathe you turn it on on spin the motor in the direction you want it to go in. The outside of the motor is what spins and acts like a flywheel giving you a smoother run. It didn't look quite this nice when I bought it but I did get a deal at $300. I could have sold it a dozen times over before the show was over and doubled my money.

Last edited:

Per G

Jan 9, 2007
Harold,

The thing that loks like a press is part of of the hand crank setup. Screwed to the bench, the lathe goes on top and a big flywheel/hand crank goes underneath.
Mine does not have the screw attachment, but an arm that can be held in the bench vice. I have tried it just for fun, but motor drive is much more convenient.
By all means keep the idler transmission. It gives better torque and lower speeds.

Per

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It looks like the only thing this lathe doesn't have is a tailstock. The press does fit on the main arbor of the lathe. I guess I will have to do some experimenting. First thing I need to do is replace the old power cord, possibly right back into the motor. The insulation is in really bad shape.
The main lathe part is enscibed "Lorch, Schmidt, and Co. Germany"
It seems to all be in good shape.
Is it possible to buy a tailstock to fit this?

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Harold,

I realize that this is a very old thread and maybe you have long since found this resource. But for you and others that might search these forums for info on older Lorch lathes I thought I'd post this:

http://www.s1p.de/05_w/wzg/wzge/fkae.html

They are old catalogues for several generations of Lorch lathes and their accessories. Good for identifying parts and parts of parts!

Best regards!

Karl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller