F. Kroeber Clock Co. "Candia"

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by craigparton, Nov 1, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. craigparton

craigparton Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    Hey everyone, I'm looking for a little help identifying this clock. I've searched online and found that most of these clocks are named, as this one is, but I can't find any specific info about this model. I'm was also curious about how much it was worth. Thanks in advance!

100_2801.jpg 100_2802.jpg 100_2803.jpg 100_2804.jpg

2. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There were at least two different versions of the "Candia". One from 1885 and one from 1895. Your version is from 1895 and is shown in a catalog illustration in LY's Kroeber Clocks, Arlington Books, 2006, from 1895. It is 8 day gong strike with the Eclipse movement. H. 15 1/2 inches, W 11 1/4 inches. It also has the optional open escapement (although that may have been standard on the "Eclipse" movement).

The figure was often an option as well. The one that you show is the one shown in the above reference.

Sorry, we are not allowed to discuss value on the message board.

Nice clock, enjoy it.

Best,

Richard T.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Tran Duy Ly's book on Kroeber clocks show two different styles of the Candia. Yours is shown from the 1895 catalogue. The esteemed gentleman seems to be Columbus, if I read the numbers correctly (1492-1892). Our rules do not permit discussion of values.

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I agree probably CC. Has all the accoutrements, ie anchor, globe (also symbolic of his belief world was round, not flat), I dare say he's pointing to the new world on the globe, the mermaid-like side handles on the case. But odd choice of 2nd date? 7 years after the 400th anniversary of his alledged discovery of America?

The Columbian Exposition, the big US shindig to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the supposed events occurred in 1893 (a year late).

Nothing earth shattering, but just curious.

RM

5. craigparton

craigparton Registered User

Oct 19, 2010
    Thank you so much for the quick responses and excellent information. I just now realized that the date range shown IS 1492-1892. I originally though it was 1499-1899 but I see it now. So it would seem that it is Columbus and they were celebrating the 400th anniversary of his discovery of America. Interesting.

Sorry, I didn't realize that discussing value was against forum rules. I can't seem to find any information about this online. Any suggestions on where I could find out the value of this clock? I'm not really interested in selling it I'm just curious.

6. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have sent you a private message (PM).

Best,

Richard T.

7. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Speaking of Kroeber Clocks,my Niagara has this dial with the trim/beauty ring on it.The dial is original but I have been told by others that the Niagara had a plain dial sans the ring.Anyone have Ly's Kroeber book and could look this up for me?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Attached Files:

8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Tran's book shows the Niagara with and without the center ring, which is what I presume you mean by "trim/beauty ring." At least, the catalogue pictures have it with, but a photo from Kent Kroeber's collection shows it without.

9. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Steven,wasn't exactly sure what the proper nomenclature was....so either dial would be considered correct?
    Bruce

10. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I would say "Yes," unless, of course, the one in KK's collection has simply lost a previously present center ring. I would have no doubt about yours in any event.