F.H.T. Clock ID Help Please?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by blueloon, Nov 6, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    retired, but busier than ever
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I picked up a couple of "new" clocks last weekend and would appreciate any info on this one that anyone can give me. It's my first clock made of some kind of stone (slate, granite, concrete with paint?). It is held together with wire and sealer and there is some kind of paint or lacquer finish on it also. It is 12-3/4" long, 12-3/4" high, and 4" deep. The only markings on it are F.H.T. on the dial and the back cover. Nothing that I can see on the back of the movement (I haven't taken it out yet to see the front).

F.H.T.jpg dial.jpg back.jpg movement.jpg accent.jpg

I'm sure one of you experts has seen one of these before and knows what it is. Thanks!

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It seems to me that the F.H.T. question has arisen before, not sure if there was a definite answer and I can't find the thread on the mb.

However, I have just seen a mantel clock on an English site (Gumtree) which shows a clock with a very clear Hermle mark on the back plate - and on the inside of the door is a perfect, complete instruction label (in English) about setting up the clock, signed at the bottom: F.H.T.

I am just wondering if those initials were used by Hermle at some point. Franz Hermle Technik? Franz Hermle Technical Dept.?? I don't know, just a thought but maybe someone else may know of other examples.

Can anybody say if the movement in blueloon's post is a Hermle? That might be a start.

JTD

3. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 blueloon, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017
    Thanks, JTD, for the answer. I'll pull the movement out tomorrow to see if there's anything on the front of it. It is a 2-day runner and has been gaining time even though the adjustment is moved all the way to the slow end. I know it needs a good cleaning anyway, so I just let it stop.

I did a search on Google for FHT clocks and found the old post that I think you were talking about here F.H.T Mother Of Pearl Inlaid Mantel Clock / Timepiece and it doesn't look like there was any more info about it. There was also some "ask" site that said FHT was the name of a retailer. I guess it will remain a mystery unless someone comes up with something definitive. Thanks again.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No that wasn't the post I saw. The one which showed the clock with the FHT label and the Hermle mark was a past auction on Gumtree. If you google
    Mantle Clock Hermle/FHT I think you will find it.

JTD

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Sorry, I should have written google: Mantle Clock FHS/FHT.

JTD

6. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, JTD. I found the clock you were looking at. Mine, however, has no label and no other markings at all. Here's a picture of the front of the movement.

movement front.jpg

No markings of any kind on it either. I've never taken one of these things apart before -- the movements with the little springs at the top. Is there something I should know before I dive into this? Thanks again.

7. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    #7 Tinker Dwight, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017
    I just picket up one of these F.H.T. clocks while at an estate sale shopping.
    There is another unlabeled one like this at:
    Unknown Clock
    My movement is more like this one with open frame.
    My case is quite different but made of heavy black slate with marble highlights.
    I'll post pictures later.
    I suspect these are German made movements. My guess is Thomas Haller.
    Burkhard guesses HAC,Junghans or Kienzle etc. ( all valid ) I'm
    thinking more like 1900 to 1915 someplace.
    I'm also guessing the cases where made in England to capture some of the
    French market. I see several FHT marked clocks showing up at English
    auctions by a google search.
    The case seems to be reasonably well made and fitted with the cheaper
    German movement.
    My movement seems to be in good shape with a broken mainspring.
    I can put a light pressure on the second wheel and the balance wheel
    runs. I don't think it got much use. It is well over oiled which may
    have saved it from corrosion. My guess is it broke early in its life
    and has been a mantle piece for most of its life.
    Tinker Dwight

8. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the extra info and the link. I still haven't gotten into mine to clean it. It seems life gets in the way. Too much to do and not enough hours in the day. I'm hoping to get into my backlog when it's too cold out to do anything else -- which is coming way too soon around here.

9. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Here are some pictures of my FHT clock.

IMG_4640.jpg IMG_4641.jpg

The movement is identical to the other pictures. I had to do a lot of adjustment
    to the balance wheel but I beat it in to submission. The previous person had it
    way out of beat, both the lever and the hairspring. I replaced the broken main
    spring as well. It has more rust damage than I'd originally thought.
    It is a one day movement and it ran for 2+ days so I'm happy.
    Looking at the movement, I'm wondering if we have maybe got the source
    wrong. The main wheel has the shield between the wheel and the spring.
    I don't think I've seen this on a German movement. I'm thinking this is,
    maybe, a Japanese movement??
    Maybe the entire clock is. I'm moving the date to around 1920 maybe. It does
    use lantern pinions throughout except for the motion works.
    The case is the black slate on the outside with an inside layer of baked
    terracotta backing things. It has been repaired with some black epoxy ( or similar ),
    glue for some of the joints.
    Tinker Dwight

10. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Tinker. Did you ever determine what the FHT initials mean?
    No luck for me on search results.

RJ

11. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #11 Steven Thornberry, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    An earlier thread might provide a clue to FHT, but I am far from certain. See Clock maker identification.

Per that thread, the name Taylor appears on the dial, located in Warrington. In this case, however, the initials FHT appear in an oval on the back plate of the movement. The thread provides no pictures of the small mantel clock in question. Apparently none were uploaded. So, it is possible, but far from proven that FHT = F.H. Taylor of Warrington. However, I have found no information on such a person, who was probably a retailer, jeweler, etc.

I notice some of the links tin this thread to other threads do not work. I can try to fix them. In the meantime, here is another FHT clock: Need help identifing this clock

I have fixed the broken links.

12. chronologiker

chronologiker Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    The design of the back plate is very characteristic, but I haven´t seen this movement before. I therefore doubt it is German.

Chronologiker