Extremely Fine Thread Damage

armyguber

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2019
Country
How can I repair ‘mashed’ threads on a pendulum adjusting screw? The piece is from a French portico mantle clock, circa 1850. The brass adjusting screw works fine up to about 2/3 up the shaft where it hits the damage. I have gone to a local hardware store in search of a steel nut to force the threads, but no one is yet able to match to fine scale, estimated between metric #2 and #3. A razor blade is the only edge I’ve found that fits the thread, but the blade gives little in the way of clearing the thread debris.

BTW the clock runs great, but is just slightly slow, hence the need to fix the thread to speed the beat.

armyguber

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2019
Country
Roughbarked, a jewelers saw sounds interesting (since the damage are 'mashed' threads I discount the effectiveness of either of the brushes). The saw sounds like a specialized item, so I read your advice as my going to a jeweler. I have contacted two, but both denied doing any clock repair work. I'll keep looking around...

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Suppose I was lucky in that I trained under a watchmaker who had done lots of things from starting out making barometers and studying fine jewellery at the London School of Arts before he came to Australia and trained here. His father was a toolmaker/fitter and turner.

Yes, you'll need to get a Jewellers saw frame and seek the finest blades. Not terribly expensive gear but very useful in clockwork as well.

Shipsbell

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2010
Country
Region
Get a thread
How can I repair ‘mashed’ threads on a pendulum adjusting screw? The piece is from a French portico mantle clock, circa 1850. The brass adjusting screw works fine up to about 2/3 up the shaft where it hits the damage. I have gone to a local hardware store in search of a steel nut to force the threads, but no one is yet able to match to fine scale, estimated between metric #2 and #3. A razor blade is the only edge I’ve found that fits the thread, but the blade gives little in the way of clearing the thread debris.

BTW the clock runs great, but is just slightly slow, hence the need to fix the thread to speed the beat.
Get a thread Gauge and determine the correct gauge, then measure the thickness of the thread. Then go on line to locate the correct die and buy the correct die to reset the threads. Repeated for emphasis. Patrick

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
You need a screwplate that has all the common fine threads, as shown below. Screw the rod into it and it will straighten out the threads. In the meantime, you can cheat. Since you need to raise the pendulum bob a bit to speed up the clock, put a small washer - one or more - between the top of the nut and the bottom of the bob until you get the right tools.

Frank

CIMG5910screwplate.jpg

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Not far from South Park CO
Country
Region
Once I knew the pitch, I would use a thread file and dress the threads back down. Knowing most people don't have a thread file, you can take a small triangle file and run this through the flattened portions of the threads to dress them back out. It will take some time and a little finesse but it will work, I promise.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Why don't you just screw off the top hook and extend the thread on the steel post and then cut a bit off so you can then adjust up or down.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Frank D, had the correct answer. Buy some screwplates. You probably want the French or Swiss ones for this project.

Bill Bonta from Virginia has developed this aid for using screw plates.

Ralph

Attachments

Ralph B

Nov 25, 2006
Napier, New Zealand
Country
Finding a screw plate that has the thread you want, and it isn't damaged, could be bit of a mission.
Not to mention expensive if that's the only time you use it.
I have some very fine knife edged files for this type of job.
However if I didn't I'd have a go at making something by grinding a knife edge onto the back, ( not the front as that's usually wobbly, and has big teeth !), of an old hacksaw blade.
Then a quick, coarse grind on the bench grinder and you'll have a fine, sharp edged, file.
Good price too !

Ralph B.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I would try real hard to find the proper die for the threads. However, expanding on Frank's idea in post #7, a piece of brass tubing could act as a spacer if you need more than a washer. It would be nearly invisible to the average eye, and completely reversible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lokalebasen
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre