Explanation of Expiration Codes on Button Cell Battery Packaging

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by W.J.$BL, Jul 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. W.J.$BL

W.J.$BL New Member

Jul 14, 2020
    Country Flag:
    I'm hoping to find some type of chart that explains the expiration codes on the Button Cell Watch Battery Blister Packs used by Energizer and some of the foreign(?) suppliers like Blue Dot Trading, Eunicell etc. From contacting an Energizer Company CS rep, I found that MC means they expired in Dec 2019. But, I'd rather not spend 20 minutes on the phone every time I need to know. Some of the sellers on ebay either do not know these codes or they're selling expired batteries intentionally.

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Although I typically order Energizers too, I notice the Sony strips of 5 and 20 I have are marked with a clear "USE BY Month/Year".

The Energizers I just get from a reliable parts house, trusting them to maintain their stock, and I don't order more than I will use up in a few months. (I get orders shipped from them most weeks anyway, it's no problem to get batteries 5 or 10 at a time.)

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My battery supplier gave me a chart and updated it every few years. It seems that there is no connection to logic. It is simply alphabetical.

My advice is to buy from a supplier who will give out a chart.

4. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, all!

I don't buy enough batteries often enough to be able to buy in bulk or wholesale. From experience gleaned in my photography days, I tend to buy on an as-needed basis preferentially from a retailer with high volume. Accordingly, I never bought any kind of battery for a photo application from a camera store, preferring instead a high-volume discount store or even a grocer. I have never trusted "Brand X" batteries, no matter how inexpensive.

Anybody know what the current thinking is on refrigerating or freezing batteries to improve their shelf life?

Best regards!

Tim Orr

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Adding to the articles answer----think of your car battery in the dead of winter or a blazing summer. Essentially the same thing.--not good for it.