Mechanical WW Expanding WW Band Repair

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by fijidad, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have this Speidel expanding WW band that came to me broken, as shown in the attached images.

It looks like one link was pried apart, with no way of repairing it. But, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to remove the broken link and reconnecting the remaining links that aren't damaged?

Band 1.JPG Band 2.JPG

2. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think these kits were made to repair these bands? I've never used one, so I'm not entirely sure.

wt5516.jpg

viclip likes this.
  3. fijidad

fijidad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Retired
    Escondido, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dave. I'll have to give that some study. This band came with a black dial ww, and the band has black rectangle stones set in parts of it, so that's why I'd like to preserve it. Coordinates well with the black dial.

4. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Interesting kit Dave. I haven't seen it before although I believe I have some of those tools. As to repairing these, it is a bit of a crapshoot. Some are easy and some not, you just have to get into them to see how yours was made. Removing the caps can be simple or nearly impossible. Once opened and cleaned you can determine the best way to rerivet it. Take note of how the springs are implemented. I wish you luck.-Cort

5. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    I have an Orvin wrist watch my Grandparents gave me about 70 years ago which has one of those scissor type bands. One of the rivets pulled out of the hole for one joint years ago. A couple years ago I got one the kits that is almost complete thinking I could repair the band but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it, even with the instructions so the kit is stuck away in a drawer.