Exceptional Masonic Exhibit, Eastern States Regional

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Jim DuBois, Aug 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Notes and photos from the ESR exhibit on clocks featuring Masonic themes on their dials and or tablets. 7 pages long, so it is in PDF form. A very special thanks to George Goolsby for his work on this exhibit, and all his clocks shown. Also thanks to many others as can be seen in the document.

Attached Files:

musicguy and PatH like this.
  2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Very nice exhibit, Jim. Thanks for posting. :coolsign:

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    THANK YOU! So glad to hear that the discussions were recorded and will be posted. I can't wait to watch them. Do you know if there were any Masonic watches/fobs/keys included?

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for posting this. Looks like it was a lovely exhibit. Thanks to all those who contributed.

Bellamy, an important late 19th - early 20th century carver from Kittery, ME and Titicomb produced a number of important Masonic/Fraternal Organization themed objects. Their output included shelves, frames and of course shelf clock cases. They originally contained Welch movements and were labeled by that maker. They are considered important pieces of American folk art. Were examples of these clocks included in the exhibit? If not, a serious omission.

These clocks were discussed with appropriate references in the following past threads:

Bellamy Carved Masonic Timepiece?

More Americana from John Haley Bellamy...

RM

5. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pat, we avoided watches and watch fobs and the like. Too little time to go into that too. Sorry!

6. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob, there were several Bellamy carved frames and only a couple of clocks. That is a serious omission given all the other stuff there? Seems perhaps what was there was a very nice selection of other things of interest. Sorry for the skewed image but it is what I have.

20190801_174128.jpg 20190802_144703.jpg IMG_0123.JPEG

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Whoops!!!

My apologies!

Didn’t see them in the pix.

My error.

RM

8. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    not in the original photos I sent, so no whoops on you....

9. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Jim, thanks for posting. It's a good refresher for my tired memory.

It was another great exhibit, as ESR is wont to do, thanks to their sharing members.

It was good seeing George and you at the show. Hope to see you both in a couple of weeks.

Ralph

Jim DuBois likes this.
  10. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph good to see you also. I was too wrapped up in the display to really spend much time talking with old friends, or new for that matter. And, yes, hope to see you at the upcoming regional here in Houston.....

11. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, Jim!

Without your permission, I shared your report with my gang of "usual suspects." I've had a number of very favorable comments, both on the exhibit and on your report. I got it from Greg Gould, who shared it with the members of Chapter 36.

I suggest other members do the same. Perhaps chapter secretaries could download your report and send it to all their members.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

12. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Tim. Your distribution and suggestions are greatly appreciated. There was a huge amount of effort and money involved in this display and the intent of those involved was to share information with us all. So, further distribution is encouraged. There was a video taken of George G's walk around both times and there are plans to share it on the NAWCC website and library etc. but the whens and whos of that have not been firmed up. Detailed video stills were also taken of each displayed item I think. Plans for those remain unclear to me.

While this was the work of several parties, shall we say the lead spent a lot of both time and money to bring this to fruition? It is the second such major effort for him as he also was a prime sponsor of the 2017 National display on Joseph Ives.

I do have a lot of other photos that could be shared if someone wants more....sadly many were taken in haste and a photographer I am not. Send me a PM if you want access to my entire unedited file of photos from the exhibition.

Thanks again!

PatH likes this.